wideband controller for fuel mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wideband controller for fuel mileage

Is anyone adjusting their O2 signal to boost fuel mileage by employing a wide band O2 sensor gauge and controller.
    Cortezit
    1995 Aspire
    2" "modified" exhaust

I don't recall anyone has, but it sounds a good idea!
    Provided you have have some means of monitoring EGT.
    Have had discussions along those lines, including ceramic coating of piston crown.
    Wonder if we can adapt sodium filled valves from another manufacturer?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I did notice a bit of an increase when I went to WBO2.

I've heard you can play with a narrowbands a bit by moving the sensor further downstream
      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I use my wide band to control my foot and it definitely improves my mileage. Lol. Does anyone know where to buy sodium filled valves for the b6t? I looked but ended up just using supertech valves.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

A vacuum gauge would probably help you more with monitoring your driving habits.
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
            A vacuum gauge would probably help you more with monitoring your driving habits.
            That would be true initially, but after your in the 45-50 MPG range I beleive this could be very helpful, provided you don't run too lean and burn valves or over heat the engine in general. Thus EGT monitoring!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
              Vacuum gauge works well (my boost gauge also reads vacuum) but isn't as accurate as the wideband for fuel consumption. The vacuum gauge tells you engine load, but sometimes the ECU will richen the fuel mixture for reasons other than load. Depending on engine temp and elevation, I notice the B6t ecu richening the mixture above a certain RPM. The wideband shows me what my mixture is regardless of engine load. Plus I've been watching wideband o2 meters for 15 years, so It's like second nature to me. With the stock B6T ecu, fuel consumption can drastically change between a 1000rpm window, even though load has remained consistent.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-23-2011, 12:41 PM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                That would be true initially, but after your in the 45-50 MPG range I beleive this could be very helpful, provided you don't run too lean and burn valves or over heat the engine in general. Thus EGT monitoring!
                What mods have you done that you are at risk of running that lean to burn valves? The OEM management won't let it run that far off the scale.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Vacuum gauge works well (my boost gauge also reads vacuum) but isn't as accurate as the wideband for fuel consumption. The vacuum gauge tells you engine load, but sometimes the ECU will richen the fuel mixture for reasons other than load. Depending on engine temp and elevation, I notice the B6t ecu richening the mixture above a certain RPM. The wideband shows me what my mixture is regardless of engine load. Plus I've been watching wideband o2 meters for 15 years, so It's like second nature to me. With the stock B6T ecu, fuel consumption can drastically change between a 1000rpm window, even though load has remained consistent.
                This is entirely correct. Cruising, above ~4000RPM the engine will run dead rich all the time, which corresponds to ~80mph (not that you should be driving that speed for economy anyway)

Going up hills I push the throttle just until it drops out of closed loop & into open loop, then back off a bit. Can really grab good mileage in the hills/mountains doing this. This does not correspond to any particular point on the vacuum gauge, so that's no help in this instance.
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

^ yup, sometimes I can get the throttle and RPM just right to let me cruise around 70 (stock g25 5th) at like 15:1. I haven't quite pinpointed how it's done, but it's even under load. It usually happens by mistake, but I think it's a "go open loop, pull off" trick like what you just mentioned. Must be a little "lean hole" in the table somewhere.
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-23-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

check out the zeitronix wideband, it has an adjustable narrow band output that you hook to the ecu and you can make the engine run leaner (i think its 15.5 at low throttle...) or you can choose stock 14.7 or rich to cool it down if your running a turbo... its a very cool wideband... i had one of the first widebands they made and it was awesome... only mine didnt have all the features in it cause they didnt have them when i bought it lol... the new ones are awesome!!!

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

^ Those are pretty cool. The thing is that most narrow band systems get their worst MPG in open loop, so it wouldn't help that, but does make a little difference in light throttle stop n' go.

What was your first Wideband unit?

Comment

it was the very first gen ZT-2 they had... it didnt have the warning out and adjustable NB output... it only had the regular NB output... it worked great but it was kind of hard to see in daylight (they say they have fixed this...) and mine took a long time to warm up but i havnt seen anyone else having this problem so i think its just mine lol... i was thinking about putting it in my tracker to try and get some better mpg's i was gonna buy the new one but i went with a AEM one, cause i dont need all these fancy features with a standalone, they are very handy if your running a factory ecu...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Can the ECU in my '91 handle a wide band? Or are you guys just putting a gauge on the dash?
                          A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                          Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
                            Can the ECU in my '91 handle a wide band? Or are you guys just putting a gauge on the dash?
                            Interesting thought, never tried that, most wide bands have a narrow band emulation output you can use to the ECU.
                            No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                            X