MPG ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG ?

So far I'm averaging 36 mpg in my 93, that's normal driving half city and half about 65-70 on the freeway.
    I see a lot of posts on here claiming easy 40+ mpg.
    But looking at Fuelly.com, the average between all years 88-93 is 35.5 mpg.
    I'm not complaining, 36 is awesome to me just wondering how easy it really is to get over 40 mpg?

Hard part is slowing down!
    60 MPH, or below, will likely net you 45+ MPG.
    Long drives, minimum stopping also helps.
    Minimum or no warm-up, tire pressure at max (makes for a harsh ride).
    In your case, fab skills, you could do some aero mods which could go a long way toward increasing your MPG.
    I currently run a front grill block which seems to help MPG, heat, and lowers wind noise.
    Air dam, side skirts, and rear wheel skirts would help a lot.
    I'd like to see 60 MPG but without serious aero mods I think it will be very hard to achieve.
    However, a diesel swap might hit in the area of 100 MPG, with some aero mods, we shall see in the not too distant future.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Depends on how you drive and also WHERE you drive. Here its nothing but mountains and curves, so you can't keep anywhere near a constant speed. Hurts MPG a good bit. I've been getting around 31 average in my '93 auto, but thats here in the mountains and most of those miles are delivering pizza which hurts mileage even more. I've seen 45 in some of my old 5 speeds, but not consistently up here with the terrain I have to deal with lol. If you live in a nice smooth flat straight area though, 40 is very reasonable.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Dont get me started, hahhahhaahhaha........I only average 46.4mpg but I hope to improve this.......

Comment

I sold an efi 5 speed w/o ac recently. I got a text from the new owner asking "is it possible that i just got 54 mpg?!" A common best number I've seen time and time again is 53 mpg. All those folks reported that number with 50-55 mph constant speeds. Windows up ac off. Max tire pressure as PU241 stated. I've seen 5 speed festys that never broke 40. Some that never got less than 40. 33 is all I ever got out of my auto festy.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

There's so many little things that have come up lately hurting peoples gas milage, a big one is the fuel pressure regulator, but anything from spark plugs to the pcv valve & in between could hurt it, even thick oil. After 15 years +/- I'd say factory parts have done their job.

70 mph is definately a factor tho.
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 11-30-2011, 04:05 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
              70 mph is definately a factor tho.
              Really? In 5th gear the car just goes effortlessly. I don't have a tach but it seems like it's maybe 2500 rpm, plus there are no hills where I live just flat roads everywhere.

Comment

Remember that these cars have the aerodynamics of a refrigerator (well, maybe slightly better). They really respond well to being driven slowly on the highway. I've averaged anywhere from 43 to 48, depending on the time of the year and the mechanical condition of the car. The 48 MPG result came after a complete tune-up, new wheel bearings and a set of FMS lowering springs. I also went to a shorter 175/50R13 tire, which forced me to slow down by about 5mph in order to maintain the same cruise rpm....I think the car actually preferred the shorter tires. It allowed me to drive at 60mph and be in that "power band" that normally didn't happen until around 65-70 mph. The around-town "zippiness" also improved. I think the common 155/80R12 tires are just a touch taller than the original 145/80R12's and tax the motor a little harder. I also monitor the MPG over every two or three tanks, and if I see it start to trend downward, I know there is a maintenance issue somewhere.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by All systemz View Post
                  Really? In 5th gear the car just goes effortlessly. I don't have a tach but it seems like it's maybe 2500 rpm, plus there are no hills where I live just flat roads everywhere.

Comment

I've been averaging 42 mpg with my '93 w/ 5 speed. This is driving mon.- fri. to work. I drive approx. 45 mph to work and 50-55 mph coming home.

I have planned my route to include the least amount of stops, 3 to work, 4 coming home. Mostly back roads so as not to impede too much traffic.

So far it's worked quite well. I'm sure that once the "winter blend" gas hits the pumps I'll see a decrease. Along with the added rolling resistance of the winter tires when used.

I did get a highway rate of just a tick over 50 mpg from Ohio to Saulte St. Marie. Took a good long time going 50-55 mph. My thinking was "I'm going to get in the right lane and own it."

On the way home I ran 55-60 and got 45.5 mpg.

A few variables though. Not the same gas. not the same pump, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by All systemz View Post
                      Originally posted by lessersivad View Post

I did get a highway rate of just a tick over 50 mpg from Ohio to Saulte St. Marie. Took a good long time going 50-55 mph.
                      50-55 is the magic number. Yes they run effortlessly in 5th. They can hit 113 in 5th. But gas mileage decreases as you exceed 55.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Actually gas mileage decreases after the lowest speed in the highest gear. (This is usually around 42-45mph)

Any faster and the mpg starts to decrease (a squared relationship to speed)

Please read the link that I have posted, and you will understand a lot more about how it all works......

Comment

Filled up today & MPG was 31.3!! best yet! I replaced the plugs & wires on 11/27/11, & this was first fillup after. Next new air filter, ordered K&N one today.
                          Last edited by navdoc101; 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM.
                          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
                            http://www.atmosphere.mpg.de/enid/In..._drag_507.html

Actually gas mileage decreases after the lowest speed in the highest gear. (This is usually around 42-45mph)

Any faster and the mpg starts to decrease (a squared relationship to speed)

Please read the link that I have posted, and you will understand a lot more about how it all works......
                            You are dead on but lets make it achievable for most to test. Lets assume a before, then do all the tricks you can, test and retest if you want. The easiest test is to find a known grade like 6% downhill for a mile or better. Can't have hard corners for safety reasons. Enter the top of the grade at the speed limit during times of little traffic. Coast in neutral and record where your speed stabilizes. Your improvements that actually increase mileage will easily show up here..except the engine efficiency improvements.

For those so inclined you can take the weight of the car, the grade, the speed and calculate the horsepower to keep the car at that constant speed. Using your known steady speed mileage you can calculate your engine efficiency..lots of other fun ways to play with these numbers..

For those stuck in flat lands all the same information is available, you enter the starting line at the speed limit and hit neutral at that exact line and coast to a stop, measure the distance, any improvements will also give you greater distance, again except the engine.

Don't do anything unsafe such as doing this in traffic, breaking laws ect.
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Filled up yesterday and calculated 36.1 mpg.
                              This was on a tank of 91 octane no ethanol, but the last quarter of a tank I added a can of SeaFoam and drove it like I stole it until it was on E.
                              Filled up again with the 91 and will drive normal this time.

Last edited by All systemz; 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X