motor swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor swap ?

first of all I know little about the "performance' part of the aspire motor swap. I plan on replacing the 1.3 in an aspire and I have a good engine to swap the bad one out with. I just thought I'd ask your opinions on what else is do-able with this swap. I wouldn't mind more power (who wouldn't) but not at the sacrafice of fuel economy OR longevity. it will be going in a car with auto trans. wouldn't mind a header but not if they are over 200 bucks.
    Last edited by loknlode; 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Ah yes... the weekly b3 performance thread. The cheapest thing that comes to mind is an open element air filter. Also you may be able to get a cat back built by your local muffler shop for $150.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

You could do a BP engine swap (1.8L DOHC). That will increase power, but your probably looking at $400 to do it. The only reason I mention this is that I see alot of people invest a good sum of money in their current engine with "Cheap" mods and I used to be one of them, when they could see more of an impact simply changing their engine. This isn't an option for everyone, but it is crazy what happens when you put in an engine that doubles your HP. This is where you will see the greatest bang for your buck.

I agree with Grey Vw, I opened up my air filter, and I'm not too sure if it helps HP, but it sure sounds cool.

Now when you say performance, do you mean overall drive-ability, or speed? It might be a good idea to invest in a good set of tires, or look into some handling mods as well. I am currently experimenting with Kia Rio struts, which will work in the Aspire.
      Last edited by timmay89; 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
      -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

You'll never acheive the wonderful MPG or "zippiness" that a 5-speed Festy can offer, at least not with the heavier Aspire and an auto trans. Be that as it may, the best you can do is make sure the engine is in 100% proper tune...things like plugs, wires, O2 sensor, timing, fuel filter, etc.. You could also try a good synthetic oil and a K&N drop-in replacement air filter. That should help with both MPG & power. If your car's mostly stock, you'll probably get the best MPG and power in the usable rpm range with the stock exhaust (especially with an ATX). The only other thing you can do is get rid of some weight...which is free and fits into your budget! Swapping to a manual 5-speed will make a difference, but I don't know how involved that is with an Aspire.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Putting in a b6 is your best bet for more power and keeping good mpg. Also, it is the easiest swap (so I've heard).
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
          X