Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

03' Tahoe instrument cluster $400 ??? WHAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03' Tahoe instrument cluster $400 ??? WHAT!

My uncles Tahoe needs a new cluster.He said all the mechanics he has talked to said it would be $3-400 for the job.We can get a cluster fairly cheap , but , they said we couldn't do it ourselves.They said THEY had to do it.Not sure why .Reset something ? Computer issues ? Any one familiar with these ? I have replaced clusters on a lot of cars , but , I'm just saying what he was told. ?????

you check any tahoe forums yet? doesn't seem like you should have any crazy technical issues with changing it out.

found this... http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=70134

bunch of vids on youtube and such too so I'm with you. good luck
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Typically with most GMs the digital mileage is stored in the cluster. If so, then the used cluster will be inaccurate, that being said if it is that important, take the old one with to the dealer and the should be able to pull the miles and reset them in the new one. Not exactly sure what they do, but at my last shop we sent a few GMs to the dealer for that.
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Yeah, he's trying to avoid the stealership for the cost of 3-4 bills... I'm not saying the mileage isn't a concern since it's a newer vehicle and not his...but documenting old mileage and new mileage you can keep track of everything pretty easily.

The more important question is what he already asked, does the cluster need to be re-flashed (or other more relative term?) to operate correctly, etc?
        Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

I dont know if he cares about the mileage.

Comment

I suggest getting yours repaired, it's well worth it. Make sure they warranty their work and replace all the motors in the gauges. There are much better motors available than what gm used stock and a good repair facility will use the good motors. These clusters are known for trouble, I've personally had 2 repaired. No mileage worries when they are repaired either. Check e-bay if you don't have an instrument repair shop near you.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The motors can be bought for $12-$15 each I'm told.

The '03 was a baaaad year for GM on these.
              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I'm not familiar with GM, but some Fords have anti-theft that will not allow clusters to be swapped without a dealer reflash. The vehicle won't even run. I miss the older simple days.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^ bingo! GM is the same way on many models.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X