whats easier body swap or motor swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats easier body swap or motor swap?

Alrighty havnt been here in a while but I have a 89 Ford festiva carbed four speed which I like do to it being a festiva on the plus side it has very nice body/interior but on the other hand I want it 5 speed fuel injected now on my other car I got gave to me its a 93 Ford festiva its fuel injected 5 speed which runs great but body isnt in the best condition nor is the interior its home to rats also my question is wether or not the body would be easier to swap or would the motor be easier to swap ???? All thoughts greatly appreciated
    89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Swap the motor/ transmission, wiring harness and ecu. not horrible. and these cars are unibody. so really is it possible?
    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Wouldn't be terribly hard to swap over all the 90-93 spec FI stuff over to the 89 Body, just takes some time, but these cars are simple enough.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Alrighty my next question soild 8 hour days how long would it take?
        89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

I'd budget at least a three day weekend of all day work if it'll be only you with some occasional help. You'll need something to drive too, since both cars will be down for that time.

You could prep by doing one car: taking it apart and getting it ready. Then get that three day weekend off to do the major work.

I've taken a car down so that the dash and wiring was still there but nothing much else, so I won't be the best opinion here. I haven't done a whole harness.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I am just trying to maximize my gas mileage should I just put the head up off fuel injection on the carbed and juss wire it in to ky existing harness

Comment

Keep the '89 intact. It is not worth the trouble for a few MPGs. I've gotten 45 in mine. I actually prefer the carbed 4-speed models. And they are probably rarer.

Comment

Mine only gets around 25

Comment

Originally posted by newcomb View Post
                  Alrighty my next question soild 8 hour days how long would it take?
                  Pull both engines and strip them to longblock, assemble one and and install it 15.4 hours, add .8 hours for AC or add 1.2 for AC in both. If it takes longer than that you are "slacken
                  :p :p
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I've done the body swap 7 times, the first time took took a solid week. The last one took about twenty hours. Time constraints are greatly affected by stubborn bolts. There's a lot to change too. I'm not discouraging you, but your question implys you've never done this, better plan it to take a week, maybe two. There's also a lot of little things never considered, like the even the window washer is different.
                    (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

see the ones i wanna do the swap in is the ones in my sig the casper(93) black bullet(89) i want the body off black ne on casper because caspers fuel injected but body not all that great of shape

Comment

if i were going to the trouble of a swap i would just look for a B6 or b6t or BP and do that instead of swaping the b3's around but thats me .....also note large amount of jealousy for you having 2 festy's an me only 1 .......lol
                        Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

I would stay with the carby. The gas mileage difference isn't that much. If you just HAVE to have FI...Swap the engine etc. Less plastic stuff to break....
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by newcomb View Post
                            Mine only gets around 25
                            If your carby only gets around 25 there's something wrong. It's a lot easier to fix that than swap the motor and tranny.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by mattman View Post
                              if i were going to the trouble of a swap i would just look for a B6 or b6t or BP and do that instead of swaping the b3's around but thats me .....also note large amount of jealousy for you having 2 festy's an me only 1 .......lol
                              If neanderpaul doesn't buy casper Saturday she will be back up for grabs for 500

Comment

Working...
                              X