Hot Rod Mag likes HF Engine Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Mag likes HF Engine Stand

Bebandit shared this with me, and I thought it would benefit others, so I'll post it here!

Hot Rod Magazine found that the Harbor Freight engine stand was better than expected and worth the money. Here's the article.

Here's the stand they were talking about
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Kind of hard to mess something up that simple.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Nice info, thanks!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My brother has the big 2200Lb H.F. stand. It's pretty nice, especially for the price. The only complaint was that the front legs angle out (for stability) and are too wide to fit between the legs of most engine hoists. That can be a real pain when you transfer the engine from the hoist to the stand. The solution was to cut the legs off the stand and reweld them at slightly less of an angle.
        He also has the large H.F. engine hoist, parts washer and glass bead cabinet. All seem to work well for occasional use. I wouldn't buy them for commercial or frequent use, but for the "home" garage they are acceptable and affordable.

Myself, I have the H.F. foldable engine hoist (1 Ton) and have been very pleased with it. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-c...ane-93840.html
        It's perfect for pulling the engine out of a Festy or other small cars and is very compact when folded up for storage. When you only have a 1-car garage, that's pretty important! My only complaint was the rather cheap metric fasteners that came with it. I would spend $20 and go buy some quality grade 8 fasteners at the local hardware store. As for the steel tubing and welds, it's as good as you'll find on units 2X the price.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I got one of these for my one chevy small blocks and love it, would be nice to have for a 4 cylinder... I think it cost about $30 on amazon.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

looks like it would be a pain to do any type of internal work like crank or rods.
            I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

yah, but great for storage and rolling around the shop. It is low to the ground too, so not really great for top end work. I have at least 8 engines in my shop right now, and this is by far the best method for storage for me. Wish I had more of these stands, but they are fairly unique to the type of engine since they only work with chevy v8s, need a different one for fords, or even Buick V8s. I have a B6T on an engine stand, and I always worry about tipping it over whenever I move it around.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

i have a HF engine stand and love it, so easy to flip over and install a crank and spin back around to pop pistons in
                -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

i have this exact one it works great
                  Frankie

fully custom 88 festy (project doomsday) Febuary in 2012 calander
                  Blockspire: ken block replica aspire
                  AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000110128487

Comment

Working...
                  X