shift light problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift light problems

Well my 89 the shift light works but only when it wants to some times it will work one or two times and sometimes its will work once and will not work for a week or so so what might cause this?
    89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

If your Festiva shift light works like my 94 Aspire, the light goes out if the computer thinks the transmission is in 5th gear. There is a switch to let the computer know that. The switch is open when in 5th gear; so a bad connection could turn the light off whenever the connection is broken. I would check that switch, located at "top of transaxle" according to my manual.
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

So same fot the 4speed?
      89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

Originally posted by newcomb View Post
        So same fot the 4speed?
        In the diagram on page 12-21 of the Haynes manual there is a switch labeled "Forth Switch" connected to the computer by a single wire colored blue with an orange stripe. I think you could look over the transaxel for an electrical connection which has only one wire attached to it. Then look at the color of the wire. If the wire color matches, I would assume this to be the forth gear switch.

Then you could place the shift in 1st gear and test the continuity through the switch to ground. I think it should be closed, low resistance between connector on switch and engine ground. Then shift to 4th gear and test again. At that point I think it should read open, switch open.

If the switch fails these tests, it probably needs to be replaced.

Carefully remove the connector and clean it with Brake Kleen, electrical contact cleaner, or some other spray that cleans without leaving any oily residue. Keep these sprays away from any electrical tape which it will cause to loose it's hold.

Report your results and we can go on from there.
        John Gunn
        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
        X