Ignition Switch/Tumbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Switch/Tumbler

Anyone ever replaced one. I bought a festiva that i am fixing up and the previous owner had afro engineered a new ignition switch into the cigarette lighter socket. Luckily they didn't splice any wires in so wiring is the easy part. What I am stuck on is the ignition switch itself looks to be riveted in place. Didn't know if they was a couple secret bolts that i dont know about. I will post some pictures....Thanks.
    Ford Fester

Those "rivets" you speak of are the bolts Some folks try to get in there with a dremel attachment to slot the heads so you can use a flathead screwdriver on them. I usually go in with a hammer and a punch and start on one side tapping them so that they spin out. Once you get them loose you can usually get them the rest of the way by hand. Then replace with a bolt of your choice that has the same length, width, and thread pitch. Done!
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

thanks buddy! I will die grind a slot and turn them out.
      Ford Fester

Comment

No problem!
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by Ford Fester View Post
          Anyone ever replaced one. I bought a festiva that i am fixing up and the previous owner had afro engineered a new ignition switch into the cigarette lighter socket. Luckily they didn't splice any wires in so wiring is the easy part. What I am stuck on is the ignition switch itself looks to be riveted in place. Didn't know if they was a couple secret bolts that i dont know about. I will post some pictures....Thanks.
          IF you're talking about replacing only the switch and not the key tumbler IIRC the switch is held onto the tumbler by a single regular 'ol screw. It's kinda hidden amongst the wires.

Remove the screw, unplug the harness, ( there are 3-4 separate plugs), remove the switch.

No need to remove the tumbler.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by lessersivad; 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I would have done that if the previous owner had not used the "screwdriver is as good as key method"
            Ford Fester

Comment

Yea, that kinda changes the method to the original suggestion then.

Comment

Working...
              X