03 ford ranger issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 ford ranger issue

My moms truck has an issue with either the transmission mount, or the universal joints, and I don't know which it would be. I/she doesn't have a haynes manual, so I'm hoping someone here knows how to troubleshoot the issue.

At first she said the clutch was going bad, but that was her opinion and she doesn't know anything about vehicles, at all. I drove it the other day, and the clutch is engaging/disengaging fine,

1) the split second the clutch petal is all the way released, it jerks a little. (like a cv joint going bad)

2) When your cruising, if you let off the gas and reapply the gas it will jump a little there too. (like a cv joint)

3) with the engine shut off or running but sitting on a slight incline rolling foward really easy, and with the clutch petal fully depressed, when you shift it into/out of any gear it will jerk a little.

I replaced the cv/driveaxel on my aspire and it cleared up most of the jerking I was getting, but theres still a little left which is in the tranny mount, I've replaced almost the whole front end so that's the last thing it could be.

I really don't think it's the clutch, I wasn't easy on it when I drove it, I broke the tire loose sliding around a corner or two, and nailed it from a dead stop running to 5-6k rpm (redline) keeping it in the upper rpm ranges thru 4th gear, a couple times, there wasn't any slipping at all.

It doesn't always jerk when shifting either, if you baby it it doesn't hardly happen at all.

So my question is, how can I tell if it's a bad transmission mount or U joint? The mount looks solid, and I don't know what to do with the driveshaft to see if it has any extra play.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Just grab the driveshaft at the U joints and try wiggling it around.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I twisted the driveshaft by hand, not really hard or anything, and the only play was in the transmission output shaft to the Ujoint.

I dunno, I just looked it up and the U joint is only 16$, so I'll probably just buy her a couple of those and hope it'll save her a thousand dollar bill she was quoted for a new clutch. They didn't test drive or diagnose it, they just gave her figures for replacing the clutch, the truck only has 56k on it, and it's been babied. 2(1)wd turd.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Sounds like a universal joint on the drive shaft. My truck sometimes shakes when I disengage the clutch. Whether I rev the engine or let it out subtle. I replaced my u-joints about 6yrs ago with grease fitting u-joints, but never regreased them after installing them. My clutch I replaced last summer. Some days it drives great others it feels like I have a have a 6 puck clutch lol. I will lube them up and see if I get a result from the shaking. My truck has 220k so it has alot of little quirks I talked to a mechanic and he wasn't sure what was causing it. I just figured it was the rear end.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinking, there's not much rubber on the transmission mount, but what's there looks like it's in good shape, almost brand new. I just figured I'd see what some other people thought, or maybe someone would throw me a curveball I hadn't thought about. I haven't had a rwd vehicle in 7 or 8 years. :p
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Trans mount, No way the u joints are bad at that mileage.

Comment

I had a VW golf with a 'bucking' problem... ended up being a loose intake boot that only leaked when the engine rocked (as in right when you start accelerating) and the boot moved briefly from its place...

Took me forever to figure out!
              White '88, 280kmi, Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with Rocketman Carb Adapter

Comment

Working...
              X