hood stuck shut help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hood stuck shut help please

sorry i didnt quite know where to put this. my hood got stuck shut on my bp swap car when i went to take it for a test drive last week and im going to be working on it tomorrow but need the hood up obviously.

the front grille was off thankfully. i can pull on the release cable but it wont budge even when i try to pull it manually from the front of the car the latch still wont give. any ideas?
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Try pushing down on the hood while u pull the cable to unlatch it, or try pulling up on the hood at the same time. Im just thinking out loud here, cuz Idk if either would work but its worth trying

Comment

Wd-40 the latch. But usually if mine sticks I pull the latch and have someone lift the hood.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Punch it:p
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

I had a similar problem where the wire frayed next to the swaged end ball, due to rust/wear. I had no choice but to install a new hood release cable. It never hurts to put a little grease on the exposed wire of the hood release cable and liberally spray the pivot point of the hood latch to ensure it continues to move freely.

Comment

I had this happen on my Aspire once. Ended up removing the vertical metal piece that the hood latch attached to. It was pretty easy.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^ i dont remember at the moment but are the bolts exposed with the grill off to do this?
              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                ^ i dont remember at the moment but are the bolts exposed with the grill off to do this?
                Look from under the bumper. There should be a couple of 10mm bolts to take off, at the bottom of the vertical metal piece and the middle. Then you should be able to raise the hood with the hood latch still latched.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

thanks bro. then can i take the latch off itself ?

Comment

Yeah, once you get the hood raised up you should be able to get at the latch mechanism enough to at least get it unlatched. Then either figure out why it wouldn't unhook, or just replace with another, I'm sure someone can hook you up in the FS forum.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I just remembered that you will have to take off 2 or 3 nuts at the top of the vertical metal piece that attaches to the radiator support. Having the grill already off will be a big help. But just look around and you'll figure it out.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

thanks guys im so close to having my bp done i just need to adjust my clutch bracket some and change a heater hose for it to be solid i think i pee'd my pants just talking about it

Comment

Working...
                        X