Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B5 8 valve and 16 valve interchangeability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5 8 valve and 16 valve interchangeability?

Hey guys

ive got a wf festiva (aussie car) with an 8 valve b5. The bottom end of the motor is dead and i have a complete b5 16v spare motor. will the short block from the b5 16v bolt up to top end of the 8v?

i dont want to bother rebuilding the busted bottom end or buy another engine.

I don't know, but why not run the whole B5 16V?

(I'll ask first 'cause everyone else will wonder the same thing...) ;p
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I believe you need to run 16 valve pistons with a 16 valve head so they clear.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

whats involved with installing the 16v? i noticed the manifolds were different between 8v and 16v, the 16v also has a crank trigger and the 8v doesnt. will it need any custom work?

Comment

if it has a crank trigger chances are its a obd-2 type engine. you might have to run it using electronics of another b-series engine.
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

we didn't get them here in aspires (second gen festivas over there) so I don't know exactly.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

im almost certian it will work, put head gasekts side by side make sure the oil and water passages have the right way to go

im sure the only issue with the SOHC bottom end is a bit of a higher comp ratio and you loose the "non interference" ... ness. lol

im doing this with a sohc b6 8v bottom end a miata top end right now.

Comment

Oh both of these motors are single cam, in australia the WD festivas came with a 16v single cam motor and the WF (later model) had a 8v single cam. kinda wierd. Im not talking about using a short block from a twin cam!

Comment

Again, if that 16v is a running engine don't crack it open. You want to swap the 16v head to another b5 so it's just as illegal as the whole engine as far as inspections go. I understand from reading they really check that stuff, more than strict California even.

Side note, what does the b5 engine computer look like?
                  1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Hah no they dont check that stuff. The engine numbers are both "B5 ******".

I just need to know if the head will fit, if not I'll have to buy another short engine.

Comment

so nobody knows?

Comment

The piston tops are probably different. I wouldn't risk it. I don't know if i am misreading your post but it says you have a good running spare engine?

The time to change a head/head gasket is almost the same as changing an engine on these tiny cars.
                        Last edited by getnpsi; 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                        X