Rear wiper install fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wiper install fail.

Did the L and the GL model festiva have the rear window wiper in the same spot? I just drilled out a hole 1 1/8 inch big 2.5 inches from the trim piece and 8.75 inches right of the licence plate. It looks like the hole needed to be another inch to the right. tomorrow i am going to have to bend the bracket of the rear window wiper so i can put it in, that or drill new holes for bolts.....

FML
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

The hole is an oval. The width is exactly 1.089" and the height is exactly 1.266".

The centre should be where the wiper motor drive shaft hits the skin after aligning it with the three mounting holes

Comment

damage is done, hole is in the hatch, gonna have to figure something out....
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

" I just drilled out a hole 1 1/8 inch big 2.5 inches from the trim piece and 8.75 inches right of the licence plate."

sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

this is what i did, i read your disclamer so i cant blame you It seems like the hole is about 1/2 inch or so to the left of where it should be...
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Weird, the above measurements have always worked for me
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

You might get a section of flat body panel and make the proper hole in it, then place it over your wrong hole (possibly enlarging your original hole) and adjust to fit. Make it look good by rounding the corners of your new panel and painting it trim black.

I'd use rivets, but that's me.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Double check the part number of the rear wiper motor. Also, please post a picture of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  Double check the part number of the rear wiper motor. Also, please post a picture of it.
                  Delivered

There is no part number but there is a shiny spot where a sticker used to be

95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Asmo makes rear wiper motors for many different cars. Sometimes they are misrepresented on eBay (for the wrong car). They use the same motor assembly but bolt it to different mounting plates with mounting arms located at different positions. I measured tonight and verified Freshtiva's measurements are correct for the Festiva wiper motor. I do not believe you have the proper motor mount for a Festiva. Can anyone else verify this from the pictures? The Festiva motor is the one on the left in this picture. It has a three point mount. Yours has a four point mount. Look at the bright side. The motor usually burns out when it jams. At least you have a spare motor and brushes that aren't worn away or melted onto the commutator, like mine was. You drilled the hole in the right place after all.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Dang Ebay!!! Fab it in like Safety Guy suggested or get the right one..Bummer!
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Tape the hole and get the right wiper assembly. No rush.
                        Here are more pictures of what it should look like.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I pulled it right out of a 1990 L plus i am trying to put it into a 1991 L thats why i was asking if the motor was in different places in different models.
                          Last edited by Chobobulous; 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM. Reason: Misread a post
                          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                            Tape the hole and get the right wiper assembly. No rush.
                            Here are more pictures of what it should look like.
                            All those motors look just like this one....
                            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Try the pictures again. Do you remember if the hole was an ellipse? If so, it was a factory install. Go and try installing the motor again and see how all the mount points align.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X