Why only 25 mpg?!!! Help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why only 25 mpg?!!! Help?!

I've been tracking my mileage for several months and have been getting 25 mpg hwy and less in town. WTH!

I'm going on a road trip soon and want to boost my mileage (and hopefully the overall 'get up and go' cause this thing has less power than my '70 VW Bug).

What the heck do I check?

The possible problems:
    1. My muffler is trash. Should I replace it?
    2. My power steering pump's been going out. Do I replace it?
    3. Car pulls a little to the right. Wheel alignment?
    4. I have a 98? Aspire Transaxle in my 91 Festy...no idea if this is causes less power and bad mileage.
    5. Is a general tune-up needed?

Any suggestions or advice on where to start are very welcome and greatly appreciated!

first off make sure the speedo isn't slow due tot he trans swap, that is going to cause incorrect mileage. alignments help ..alot

Comment

general tune ups always help if its been awhile

Comment

Bad or over torqued wheel bearings can cause loss of mileage, along with anything dragging such as the hand brake. A faulty oxygen sensor can cause a rich fuel mixture leading to poor mileage. Fouled spark plugs can cause unburbt fuel, and result in poor mileage. There are many possibilities.
        2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
        1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
        1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Sounds like I might just need a professional diagnostic to really hone in on the main problem(s). I just feel like there must be a link between the low MPG and the low power and thought someone might know what would cause both.

Comment

If you have a GPS you could track your mileage that way....... Is your car a 5spd? How are you driving? Your biggest gain will be going only 55-60mph on the HWY, rather than 70+.......Also, check the e-brake as per jjk1224's post......

where is your road trip to?

Comment

Car's a 5 speed and I drive pretty economically, I'm a lightfoot on the gas, coast when I can, etc, etc. My e brake doesn't hold too well, so that could be an issue, too. Will check.

Comment

I guess I got fortunate then, cause I get an average of 46.3mpg (as per sig), and that includes some winter driving, city, and a bunch of hwy........

But as a rule, I get about 48-50mpg summer, and 42-45 winter.......

I am sure that whatever the issue is will be easily fixable, and someone on here will know.....
                Last edited by Darlo; 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Have you done a compression check, low compression would = poor mpg's and slow get up and go, this will tell you if your engine is in good shape or just getting worn out. You might need a o2 sensor. Good luck.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

There is another Festiva in Oregun! Low power will get you bad gas mileage.
                    As bad as yours is it is not minor things like difference in transmission. You
                    did not mention missing, hard starting, check engine light and other clues so...
                    Ignition timing, Cam timing and plugged cat need to be checked.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                    X