No announcement yet.

Mazda 2.3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a reflash of a focus ecu isnt to bad 250-350$. Or u can get the sct pro race for 900 with would let u do a custom tune and what not and still let u use the obdII port and all of that.

Comment

^ i was under the understanding that the 6spd getrag was shorter than the g series length wise which came from the use of 3 layshafts instead of 2. if that's the case then that would be the trans of choice for fitment. could you get us some rough dimentions?

would the duratec engine/trans package be a possible option as well or is it just too big?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

There was someone on here like a month ago who tried fitting the ZX2 drivetrain in a festiva and said the engine was too long and needed some serious frame rail work in order to clear, but I can't remember who it was

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Duratec would but u would have to use the mtx75 and its really hard to find a 2.3 duratec heck even the 2.0 is hard to find. The duratec will mot bolt to the getrag trans. The getrag will only bolt to the older zetec. The issue i could see with the duratec is the exhaust is on the back side and would hit the festy rack. The zetec is on the front so u could easily just have it go under the rack. The getrag does have the extra lay shaft because its a six speed not a five speed, they had to use to to get the trans small enough to fit in the focus. Its the same size bell housing to back side as the mtx, even uses the same trans mounts, but it is huge front to back( when in the car). It takes up more room the the mtx because of the extra gear and shaft. I honestly dont think u could get it to fit in the car with out it hitting the rack and pinion. Plus its hydro clutch, and shift cables no rods, so u would have to accomadate for both. G series would be the easier of the trans to use. But not matter what ur gonna run into wheel hop/ spin issues since u cant fit enough tire on a festiva. Svt and st focus come with 215's stock most people run 215-225 and still have tire spinning problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
            There was someone on here like a month ago who tried fitting the ZX2 drivetrain in a festiva and said the engine was too long and needed some serious frame rail work in order to clear, but I can't remember who it was
            Damkid, if you can squeeze that engine into your machine, ANYTHING with 4 bores should be able to be made to fit

I am about to head into work, when I get home, if it isn't below freezing, I will get some measurements after I remove the underside cross member.

I would also note that I personally would not be able to attempt this type of swap in less than 2 or 3 years, too much on my plate, but it is a cool thought and someone MIGHT want to try it!

IMHO, I would try to pick up a donor car, perhaps a wrecked one, and swap most of the drive train in with the ECU.

Off the top off my head, I am guessing that some fabrication on the breathing apparatus would be required, especially the exhaust manifold. t the very least, the angle would have to be cut way down.
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
              Damkid, if you can squeeze that engine into your machine, ANYTHING with 4 bores should be able to be made to fit
              Keep in mind, my engine may have 6 cyl. but it's not any longer then a smaller 4cyl, once you get into the larger 4 cyls, they only get longer

And i Found it

Last edited by Damkid; 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM.

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Sounds like it might still fit if you moved everything towards the driver's side frame. I understand that means you might need to get creative with shafts again.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                  Sounds like it might still fit if you moved everything towards the driver's side frame. I understand that means you might need to get creative with shafts again.
                  If the shafts were perfect for where he had the tranny there will be play to move it to the driver's side. Look at all the pictures of the guys who have installed G-series trannies: they all have used the same axles, but some are as much as inch more to the driver's side than others. CV axles are designed for a little bit of change in length due to suspension movement.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Im with them i honestly do think it would fit. It would deffinatly need custom mounts but i would bet it could be made to fit.

Comment

Anything can be made to fit with enough time/patience/welding wire haha

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                        Anything can be made to fit with enough time/patience/welding wire haha
                        Truth!

Comment

Too late, too tired, and too bleeping cold to get pics tonight...

Comment

Working...
                          X