Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between a Festy 5-spd & an Aspire one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between a Festy 5-spd & an Aspire one?

Reason I ask, if you swap an Aspire trans and knuckles to go to 13" tires, does your speedo read right?
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

speedo reads the same for all E series trans. the aspire has a shorter final drive ONLY, all other gear ratios are the same.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Pardon me for getting this possibly mixed up, are you saying that 5th is lower numerically on the Aspire that the Festy? Like .76:1 vs .82:1

It would seem to me that if the Aspire tires are taller, then the speedo would be off. In otherwords, maybe the speedo itself is different.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

final drive is the ring/pinion ratio, so all gears are lowered a bit
        Owner of:
        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
        In progress:
        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

^ correct.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

is the mounting and hook ups the same as a festi trains? I thoguht some mods where needed when installing a aspire trans into a festi?

Comment

you need the chassis specific mounts for the trans swap (festy mounts for a festy swap, aspire mounts for an aspire swap).

Comment

Installing the aspire trans the only dif other then final drive , is the front trans mount . It will not work on the festy crossmember . I'm told u can swap the aspire crossmember to the festy but I've never done this . I'm thinking kartracer did the crossmember switch !!!!!
                The festy mount will work on an aspire trans but holes need drilled ,that's what I'm running now ..
                New build on the way .

Comment

As stated above, the only issue putting and aspire trans into a festy is the front mount.
                  I always just use the festy mount, it will work fine. Just there's one bolt hole that's left out. You'll see it when you try it.
                  I can get a pic if needed.
                  Last edited by Occhty; 01-30-2012, 02:11 AM.
                  (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Maybe that's a mistake, anywho, go here and see

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40587&page=2
                    (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                      Pardon me for getting this possibly mixed up, are you saying that 5th is lower numerically on the Aspire that the Festy? Like .76:1 vs .82:1

It would seem to me that if the Aspire tires are taller, then the speedo would be off. In otherwords, maybe the speedo itself is different.
                      To make it easier for you to picture the "final drive" portion of the transmission concept, visualize a motorcycle's chain and sprocket assembly together.
                      You know the motorcycle has a transmission with 5 or 6 gears right, but the size of those 2 sprockets and ultimately that chain on the outide of the tranmission, can be made smaller or larger (more or less teeth) both front and/or back ultimately affecting all of the relatively unchanging gears.
                      This is how and why they compensated for the aspire weighing an additional 200 pounds.
                      The final drive ratio was 3.77 to 1 in the festy which they achieved by mating a 18 tooth pinion gear (also refered to as a "sun" gear) with a 68 tooth ring gear.
                      The ratio is 4.05 to 1 however in the aspire which they achieved by mating a 17 tooth pinon gear to a 69 tooth ring gear.

Here's an inside the trans picture for you, that massive gear that seems to fit snugly under that gear shaft cluster is the ring gear we're speaking of:

Remember this too Larry, in the future you don't have to overthink things like this, that's what you have guys like us for ;-)
                      Last edited by iceracerdude; 01-30-2012, 04:44 AM.
                      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Ok so how different is the 02 rio ring gear from the g series?
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The speedo gear that you insert into the transaxle hole runs off the ring gear, right?

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I've gotta believe because it's a g, it's much bigger in general mass, tooth count at that point might be moot. What you want to do is see how big that flywheel is. The mounting bolt pattern and the clutch bolt pattern. Did you get a manual type flywheel with that tranny?

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                              The speedo gear that you insert into the transaxle hole runs off the ring gear, right?

Karl
                              Well. off the diff carrier, A little plastic gear attached to the the other end of the diff carrier.
                              Look here just above that pill bottle balancing the whole schebang:

Take a closer look at the teeth on that ring gear, see the double row of hash marks on every tooth? That's not found on the festy ring gear, this is a factory made indicator that you're holding a 69 tooth gear instead of the 68 found in the festy. This diff carrier as well as all other internals including forks, and gear clusters are completley interchangable between both e series cases.
                              Last edited by iceracerdude; 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X