New member.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member.

About 2 wks ago I purchased my first ever Festiva(93). I fell in love with it the min I drove it and so did my kids 6 and 4. This cheap score then led me on to find out what other ones might be near. Thats when I stumbled on a 89, that I just had to have. I threw the car trailer on my pickup and we went for a 5hr drive to take a look .

The 93 had some rust in the rear but that is deamed as my beater the 89 looked very nice in the pics but is in need of a restore big time. Anyways the car has this website decal on it and a LOT of work was done at one point. I was hoping maybe someone had some information about this car or knew something. Apparentely it was a aka show car at one time but, that must have been some time ago.

Whats a good place to source body parts other than junkyards and such and do they even offer new sheet metal for these cars to do a full restore? Id really like to tear this down and make it rust free and keep it alive for many years to come. Hell I might even tackle my beater as both run like a top and keep them both around for years to come.

here is the autotrader link to the 89 I bought. Ill also try to resize some pics to show them both in the garage.
    Last edited by theonlyz; 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM.
    2004 dodge cummins with a full competition engine and transmission.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

1993 rotted out Festiva 5sp: beater car and daily from MI to NC

Well, I can't help a whole lot on your question, but welcome to the sickness, lol. I'm sure someone might know the answer to your question and they will chime in.
    Also may I suggest putting a location on your profile, never know, somebody on here could be your neighbor!
    Mike
    Last edited by 2xclutchin; 01-28-2012, 09:49 PM.
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

No link in your post and Mike is right. Put your location in your signature, it helps a great deal!!!! Welcome aboard.
      Chuck
      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
      If money will fix it, it's not broken
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Rallytiva .. I wondered what happin to that car ... I don't have any history on the car ,sorry .
        I do remember rallytiva here thou .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Holy shnikes!!!! Your only 45 min away from me!! Finnally a up north festy on here!! lol If your ever in Thief River, let me know!
          Now I can answer on the other part of your question, good luck on finding junk yard Festys up here, I havn't seen one since 08'. As far as buying body parts new I still don't know the answer to that one.
          Mike
          Mike Holmgren
          Thief Rvr Fls, MN
          "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

hmm interesting well shes in need of some tlc. Poor little car has so much creativity in it I refuse to let it get thrown away. Id like to bring it back to looking new with new paint doors sheet metal whatever it takes. Any idea where to get all the decals or the majority of some of them? It seems most of the car is a wrap, where or who does this or was it a kit enlighten me where to start.

It needs a new hood for sure. Fenders are all banged up and bent from slaming the front tires into them. New paint as there is some bubbling on the roof and other areas. It may need new doors and hatch ect ect. I also noticed under the side skirts the rear is rotted so that could lead to more.

As of right now its just parked till I get some time away from work but, I want to start to get an Idea of where to get stuff.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

Originally posted by 2xclutchin View Post
              Holy shnikes!!!! Your only 45 min away from me!! Finnally a up north festy on here!! lol If your ever in Thief River, let me know!
              Now I can answer on the other part of your question, good luck on finding junk yard Festys up here, I havn't seen one since 08'. As far as buying body parts new I still don't know the answer to that one.
              Mike
              Actually I bought my 93 in Thief river a few weeks ago, found that one on CL.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

Originally posted by theonlyz View Post
                Actually I bought my 93 in Thief river a few weeks ago, found that one on CL.
                Did you drive on the double lanes, if so did you notice a white with red striped Festiva behind a red house, that would be my Festy.

Was the 93' a green one? I know I havn't seen that one for awhile around town now.

Well if it is a wrap, chances are there is a place in GF that does it, and if not I'd look around Fargo (I don't know of any places off hand but GF and Fargo are the main hubs around here until you get further south of course.). Another idea would be to show it to a Vynil shop and see if they could re-create it.

Sorry I couldn't help more, Mike

One other thing, if you look in the events section, there is a meet in the works for the spring, for us folks. Thought I'd let ya know. (Even though it says MN, the more the better haha.)
                Mike Holmgren
                Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Thanks That is kind of along the lines what I was thinking on the wraps.

I didnt see your car but, I wasnt looking either and the roads were snowy when we were there. We did drive on the road thats right in front of Artic cat and past that center you have up there(drawing a blank) then took a left at the T and then a right about 3 streets down on a weird named street. The 93 is red

Ill try to make the meet but, I typically work weird hours and weeks can be as long as 80+hrs

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

Originally posted by theonlyz View Post
                    Thanks That is kind of along the lines what I was thinking on the wraps.

I didnt see your car but, I wasnt looking either and the roads were snowy when we were there. We did drive on the road thats right in front of Artic cat and past that center you have up there(drawing a blank) then took a left at the T and then a right about 3 streets down on a weird named street. The 93 is red

Ill try to make the meet but, I typically work weird hours and weeks can be as long as 80+hrs
                    You dont mean the Ralph Engelstead, and the Huck, do you? If so I know the exact street your talking about, and how I didn't find out about this festy makes me sad, :cry_smile:. lol jk

I understand the weird hours, I just thought I would mention it to ya, so you knew.

Mike

EDIT: I will talk to a vynil lady I know in town, see what she thinks, I won't be able to talk to her until Tuesday, but I'll let you know what she says.
                    Last edited by 2xclutchin; 01-28-2012, 11:13 PM.
                    Mike Holmgren
                    Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

You might ask a local body shop where they
                      would get sheet metal, that helps out here
                      on the rust free west high desert!
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Welcome! Now we are finally getting a few more north-Midwestern festiva members.
                        Ford Fester

Comment

Ralph Engelstead, thats the one. Sorry Im a little new to the area yet as I was stationed at Ellsworth in Rapid city SD. Now that Im out my wife is still in and we got orders to here in the spring.

The next time I get off I think Ill be talking with a body shop to at least get an idea what Im looking at spending to get this girl in tip top shape.

Thanks for welcoming me, Im glad to have found this place and these amazing little cars.
                          Im a big diesel guy but, since I got into these cars the truck has stayed parked and Im thinking of actually selling and concentrating on my festivas.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

I would say, hold on to the truck. These Festivas are awesome for a whole lot (ask Neanderpaul about the bed configuration to turn your car into a camper!) But nothing beats a diesel truck for, say, towing all your Festivas to a meet to show your babies off! Oh, and check out Movin's car, coated in red bedliner!
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                            X