going to look at a 89 festivus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to look at a 89 festivus

guy has a red 89 gl fuel injected, auto, with a/c, rear wiper, 110k-ish miles. clean and local so no rust and nothing but lot dings body wise. it can be had for $2000 which seems a reasonable price for that in its condition.

anyways, do you have any advice as to what to ask or look out for? this will be my first festy and he told me it gets 35/40 city/hwy. is that pretty much on the money mpg wise?

thanks
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

IMO that body had better be perfectly straight for $2000, but I guess pics would be the factor.

Comment

You might be able to pull 40 MPG at 55 MPH.

Check ball joints, all body panels for collision/repaint work, brake lines for corrosion, function of all accessories, etc. Take on a decent test drive after checking tire pressures to ensure good handling.

If it needs ball joints, bushings, or other things, deduct such from your offer.

For $2000 it should not need anything major. In fact, it really shouldn't need anything at all until the next oil change.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Definitely not a gl model....maybe a lx.
        Ford Fester

Comment

its an lx;

Comment

looks like it was sold. unless bidder didnt pay
            Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

bidder was a bust - wanted to come look at it to make up his mind and the owner told him this wasn't a "bid to look see" and sent him packing. this was his 2nd no show bidder. the high bidder was in fl. if it were me I'd sell it locally and tell the guy in fl. to come on up. I'd let him ride for about 4 hours and then call and tell him I sold it locally. yeah, it'd tic the guy off but it may cure him from placing bids in the future.

I was actually high bidder at $2075 but now that its "off auction" I will not go beyond 2k. I know some o you cheap skates are thinkin this is way too much for this car but do you guys think gas is going to steadily go up or down?

they are asking (and getting eventually) 4-5000 bucks for decent condition 1985 - 89 rabbit diesels just because they say they'll get 50+ mpg's. now if I can get a 2000 dollar 40 mpg gas burner I'd be happier than snot. the offset in higher diesel fuel and higher maintenance costs, more than offset the 20% savings in mileage/gas. even if a cost analysis study could push that dif. to 30% I think I would still be in favor of the festy. if I wanted to go with a straight drive then I'd definately be better off with a 45 mpg festy than a 55 mpg rabbit. but alas I am tired of changing gears. this will be my new pizza car
              Last edited by loknlode; 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

i dunno, i know where an 89lx was gotten here locally for half that money with 65,000 original miles on the ticker and it was verified mileage.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                  i dunno, i know where an 89lx was gotten here locally for half that money with 65,000 original miles on the ticker and it was verified mileage.
                  well, hook a fellow web brutha up. I'll take it. the other guy now won't answer his phone or return my calls.
                  Last edited by loknlode; 02-01-2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

if its in killer condition 2k really isnt bad, i sold my last one for 2300.00 sometimes if you buy it & dont have to spend any $ on it to me its worth it you can always get your $ for it later. i sold my 88lx for 1800.00 & it had 450k miles on it, it did have 5 speed & ac though. i say get it(if its super nice)
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by loknlode View Post
                      well, hook a fellow web brutha up. I'll take it. the other guy now won't answer his phone or return my calls.
                      Sorry, it was purchased by a fellow board member. But it will be at NCstiva and FM6 for review.
                      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                      X