A miata owner who has just bought a Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A miata owner who has just bought a Festiva

Hi everyone! I am a long time miata driver and have grown tired of driving my racecar to work everyday so I just bought a 93' festiva after about a year of searching and I need some advice on some repair stuff.. I bought the car with a cracked head near the driver side spark plug... oil has a little chocolate milkness to it, do i need to do a whole rebuild or just at good cleaning with a good head?

the car has 200k miles on it and is in great condition other than the head, i got the car for pretty cheap so I can spend some tax return money on it. I know very little about these cars so I am looking to you guys..and will greatly appreciate any advice you have.I would also gladly share any of my knowledge of miatas to anyone who asks, I have owned a few.

The sleeper motto:
    The dog who intends to bite, does not bear its teeth. :thumbup:

00' Emerald Green Miata:
    Full Roadstersport stainless exhaust,
    Monsterflow Intake, Bilstein coilovers,
    Flyin Miata sway bars, Hard Dog roll bar,
    soon to have Mp62 supercharger.

93' Red Festiva:
    stock.....for now;)

You have certainly found the right place. Everyone around here is very helpful, I'm sure if you stick around you will be here or awhile.

You may be able to get away with replacing only your engines head, but you will need to determine what other damage the engine may have. Has it sat for a long time? The crack most likely causing coolant to bypass your head gasket to explain the mixture in your oil. You need to figure out if any has entered your combustion chambers and if the cylinder walls are in decent shape. With 200k, I would suggest doing a full rebuild if your already going to have the engine mostly apart. It will also help you learn why your head cracked in the first place. It may have happened from over heating, but aluminum heads usually warp a decent amount before they crack. Rebuilding a b3 is easy if you have any experience with engine internals. If not, a whole engine can be sourced online for cheap or possibly purchase one from a fellow member here for an even better deal(if your able to transport it). These cars are very simple and easy to work on, if you need help just search around for some answers and if you don't find anything dot be afraid to ask!
    Im sure you will be pleased to hear your knowledge of the miata will come in handy, as the Mazda b6 and Bp engines are common swaps into these little cars.
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

I'd like be the first to say welcome from a fellow Festiva/Miata owner. I have one of the ~1500 '92 SBYs, not in perfect shape cosmetically (far from it) but mechanically its a DD and I'm slowly bringing back to its former beauty as time and finances allow. My wife and I also have 4 festivas which I love very dearly! With 200k I would probably do a full rebuild if time/budget allow. These engine will go forever, and you could probably just slap a new head on and call it a day with many more miles to go, but a rebuild can restore a lot of power and fuel economy that have been lost over the course of 200k miles and twenty years. There is also the option of a handful of other motors to swap as well, might consider taking a look over in the engine swaps section of the site
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I personally look at the stock engine as not being worth rebuilding, it's just a lot cheaper to just replace with a good one..... That's my two cents on that one, but personally if I'm pulling a stock engine, most likely something bigger would go back in

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Throw a used head on it.

Comment

Welcome. Add your location so someone close can help. I'd go bp, but thats just me.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Lostcoast, if you've rebuilt engines before, the B3 should be a piece of cake. However, the Festiva/Aspire and the Miata share many useful parts. I'd recommend:

-If you need another ride right now, put a new head on your B3 so you can use the car immediately. Check and fix what other things you can as you do this.

-Next do an Aspire suspension and brake swap. That way you can use just about any Miata wheel on your Festiva! I have a set each of Daisies, '99+s and solid seven spokes. Check this out:

-Consider an engine swap when you can. For max MPGs and a little more power, the plain Jane B6 would be easiest and provide almost as many MPGs as the B3.

-Mod an old Miata 1.6 with FWD accessories and put that in for a nice 116hp Festiva. If you do this you might want to upgrade to an F series transaxle so you don't have to baby it on takeoffs.

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM.
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Oil
                In water = not good it's only a matter if time till that moisture destroys the bearings.
                -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Wow, thanks for all of the great advice!...I think a total rebuild is in order for this car, the car has not been broken for very long so i'm not expecting anything super bad. I have some experience with engine work and have many friends that have more than me, I bought this car because of the gas mileage and comfort compared to my Miata so the better condition the motor is in the more ill squeeze out of the gallon..

Is there any tricks when rebuilding to gain more fuel efficiency?..
                  once again, thanks for all the great advice.
                  The sleeper motto:

00' Emerald Green Miata:

93' Red Festiva:
                  stock.....for now;)

Comment

Pics of the car or it doesn't exist lol
                    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

"Is there any tricks when rebuilding to gain more fuel efficiency?"

I'm planning on using an Aspire head with roller rockers for my 1.3 MPG build. Roller rockers have less friction.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                        this is what im thinking
                        1991 stiva.

Comment

I'm also a Festiva and Miata owner! 91 Miata, 93 Festiva, 95 Aspire!
                          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                          Snoopy's
                          4621 Atlantic Ave
                          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                            I personally look at the stock engine as not being worth rebuilding, it's just a lot cheaper to just replace with a good one..... That's my two cents on that one, but personally if I'm pulling a stock engine, most likely something bigger would go back in
                            x2

B6 swap:p
                            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                            14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                              lmao! I say the same thing to everyone! I promise I will put up pics as soon as I can...Im a full time student and work on my days off so time is rare right now..lol I had a feeling someone would say that

btw to the other miata owners, I have a 2000 emerald green mica w/hardtop, and have owned a 90,91, and a 94,..all red. I will post pics of that car as well.
                              The sleeper motto:

00' Emerald Green Miata:

93' Red Festiva:
                              stock.....for now;)

Comment

Working...
                              X