interior paint options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior paint options?

due to the fact that there are NO kits you can buy for a festy interior and vinyle is to much work for something that peels off within weeks i have decided to paint my interior. i was using a can of "plastic gloss" indoor outdoor spray paint. its working but looking very "tacky" any one have suggestions for me?
    ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

92 silver 5spd with some boost! Kratos

I haven't done this yet, but I've read preparation is important, just like painting metal.

I'd make sure to read the directions on multiple types of paint in the store to see how they're done and what temperatures and humidity levels are acceptable. Then prepare the surfaces as noted. If not noted, wash them with mild soap and water and fix any nasty areas, etc.

I'd check out paint made specifically for interior auto plastics, if possible.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I found a guy on Craigslist who paints plastic for a living, I forget what he called it but he explained the method of how he gets paint to stick to any plastic. He uses a torch to heat the plastic, then wipes it with a acetone he said this is the key to getting it to stick. He said it open the pours in the plastic and allows them to accept paint. Then paint it when it dries. I haven't tried it but when I get my plastics out of the attic I will post some results.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

What brand paint are you using cway?
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I've used Krylon Fusion paint and it works ok. Biggest thing will be scratches, no matter what you paint it with.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

i am using krylon any one interested SEM has a whole label of interior auto paint including a primer and platic adhesive
            ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

92 silver 5spd with some boost! Kratos

Comment

I just put vinyl on my car door lol it looks awesome sitting on my ironing board
              91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

fusion

i wipe what plastic.i want to paint with lacquer thinner,then spray can it,with fusion plastic paint. tape it up first. if u over spray glass, wipe it with thinner

Comment

Whatever you do don't use Duplicolor "interior paint" it flakes off plastic bad.
                  91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                  14 C7 Z51

Comment

I like the krylon fusion. It bonds very well to the plastic. It does scratch fairly easy so the more coats the better.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

SEM works good!

Comment

For just painting the trim (dash bezels, etc), regular automotive spray paint works great (like Duplicolor), as long as you prep it well. Did it with the DeathEgg; never had flaking, peeling, etc. Looked great!
                        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                        Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                        X