Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye sweet Festiva

This is almost heart breaking.

I've been running a 3 door 1.3L Festiva 2000 hatch for the past 3.5 years now, and being my first and only car ever I've gladly put up with the sweat-stained seat fabric and some of the outside bits having fallen off. I put on around 50,000km in that time, and it's sitting at around 130,000km now.

But over time and as I grow older, I've felt increasingly unsafe without airbags, and driving a 1-star ANCAP safety rating vehicle. Add to that a feeling of poor road grip during windy winter, and the vehicle struggling to keep up with the aircon on during the harsh Australian summer... I decided.

I love my car, but, it has to go.

I wanted to drive a Kia Rio 1.6L MY12, which looks quite nice, and sounds like the big brother to the Ford *cough Kia cough* and would give me those fond memories more... however a shiny new lightning blue Mitsubishi Lancer ES MY12 sedan caught my eye... I test-drove it first, and I bought it (awaiting delivery).

And so it ends. So sadly. I'm so sad about it, I will love and miss my Festiva forever. I remember the first day I got it, and I'm going to find it hard if not impossible to let it go. My eyes are tearing up as I write this... all the places I took it with my ex-girlfriend, the close calls it saved me from, how it survived a once-in-a-lifetime hail storm without taking any damage (unlike every other car in the city), the scratches it got down the side in the old building I use to live at where my neighbours refused to trim their trees properly ... I even remember pulling over to watch the odometer flip over to 100,000km.

I'm going to take it to a mechanic to get a once-over, before taking lots of pictures of myself sitting its rusting shell, for sentimental sake, and selling it on a local bargain board to whomever is worthy of it. I'd even like to give it to a family member, but I hesitate because of the airbag issue.

I feel so sad, despite the anticipation of my new car; 5x the safety, twice the power and the same mileage. But the Festiva was MY car. How do the rest of you say goodbye to a loved one like that?
    Last edited by DoctorOwl; 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM.

i wouldnt let it go just keep it around!
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Thats tough, :-(. Is it really that far gone ?
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I sold my Ranger to close friend (with the understanding that it was an old truck and it was what it was) Then i bought it back when i realized that i never should have sold it. I only own one vehicle with an airbag and the clockspring is messed up in it so it doesn't even work. I guess i live my life on the edge lol.

Comment

Maybe keep it as a backup car? Minimal insurance if you let the ins. co. know that you only drive it 1000 kms a year or so.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorOwl View Post
            This is almost heart breaking.

But over time and as I grow older, I've felt increasingly unsafe without airbags, and driving a 1-star ANCAP safety rating vehicle.
            I try to put things in perspective.

80% of my road miles are on motorcycles, about 18% in my Festiva, and the other 2% with my wife in her Subaru.

Compared to a motorcycle, my Festiva is a bulletproof armored tank! AND gets as good or better gas mileage than the bikes ..... Airbags would just be overkill. You can't build an 1800 pound car with airbags.

Lannis

Comment

Originally posted by Lannis View Post
              80% of my road miles are on motorcycles, about 18% in my Festiva, and the other 2% with my wife in her Subaru.

Lannis
              You travel on the edge wherever you go...
              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Working...
              X