Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grooved roads, any others with problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooved roads, any others with problems?

We went up to Indianapolis the other day, using the highway the whole way (we usually route through Beech Grove - a town right south of Indy), and noticed something they've been using recently.

This: http://eplay.typepad.com/photos/unca...2pc3936p_3.jpg

Whenever we hit it, we have almost zero traction. It's alright when you're slowing down, but when you have cars on either side of you, you're doing 65MPH, and drifting all over with no means to stop it, it's pretty bad. It's as if the tires are being airborne.

We talked to someone who said a lot of motorcyclists will walk that stretch of road, because they don't have any traction.

The tires are pretty new, but she does need an alignment. Any possible fixes on our end for such a problem? Or do we have to call our congressman?

~Spike
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

If your going to call someone, the best person to call would be your local Department of Transportation office. (This is not the DMV) You will want to talk to one of the design or project engineers. A district engineer would be handy too. Tell them there is a dangerous part of the road that is causing your vehicle to have traction issues. These guys will take it more personally for the most part since they have to live with the road, the congressman doesn't. It could be an experimental thing they are trying. Even if it is not, they should value your feedback. I am engineer and deal with alot of highway projects. Our state does not install these cuts, so I am not familiar with their purpose, design, or intention.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Some roads like that are bad if not done correctly, but I would get the alignment done to your car. That is probably a big part of the problem.
      Alignment issues will cause a car to drift on smooth pavement, worse on grooved roads.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I don't think I've ever drove on pavement with the the grooves going across.

I can see where it may cause traction problems with a less tire/pavement contact patch.

I would say the reasoning is for drainage.

Now, my experience with grooves going with the flow or direction of traffic is not pleasant.

Complete 4 wheel alignment helped slightly but the Festy still wanders in the grooves. I have found that by steering diagonal (staying in my own lane using a subtle, slow weaving) I can drastically reduce the "jerking and tossing" caused by the grooves.

BTW, I'm running 155-80/13 tires.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
          If your going to call someone, the best person to call would be your local Department of Transportation office.
          While I was at work, my mom called both.

EDIT to first post:

Picture I meant to post was one going WITH the flow of traffic, not side to side. My mistake.

I guess it's time to set up an alignment appointment. Figure I can get them to check my CE light while I'm in there.

Lessersivad - That's what I'm running. I suppose I'll try weaving next time and hope it helps out.

~Spike
          White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
          White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
          1988 LX 5-speed
          ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

We have them here , i have new tires and alignment and car drifts scary bad on those grooves . I think they are for icy conditions to provide traction .

Comment

Tighter Align specs. closer to stock wheels.
              Tires that are more rounded.
              Lots more but start here..
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I had to remove my oversized front tires and put the 12s back on because they would follow any road inperfection.

Comment

Did it with my 12 inch stockers - did it with my 13's 40mm offset and 14's on both cars with new alignment good bushings tierods and new struts . I think its more about weight , and yea its scary on my motorcycle too . My friends geo does the same thing - i have to go about 55 in a 75 for it to handle comfortably .

Comment

Its the road, not your alignment. There is a stretch of road near by like that and it is scary to drive on. I was in a brand new VW and it was drifiting side to side alot on that stretch. I don't know why they are making roads like that, but it is a terrible design and is probably going to get people killed.
                    '90 LX

Comment

Kinda feels like mixing bias and radial tires but worse !

Comment

If it only feels that way on that type of pavement its the road. With my snow tires (175/70/13) it feels like I just keep getting nailed back and forth with huge gusts, but with my summer tires (195/50 and also with 205/50/15) its not noticeable. I think it has to do with the contact patch of the narrow tire trying to follies the grooves, thusly why motorcycles have a hard time, their contact patch can be less than an inch on some. So don't worry, its just the road. But you do need to get it aligned soon it will start to chew up those tires.
                        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

US-23 through southern MI is that way. 2006 Corolla on 205-65-15s and I was constantly sawing at the wheel. My first thought was "what about motorcyclists?"

Comment

Working...
                          X