Stripped Exhaust Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Exhaust Bolts

Ok, my idiot self was trying to unbolt the down pipe from the cat for removing the motor and the bolts were seized. After spraying some PB on both the bolt head and the threads and nut, leaving it sit overnight, I tried the next day to remove both. Needless to say the PB had no effect and I ended up 80% rounding the nuts off. Theres no room for an impact due to the cat cover so hand racheting was my only option. I really don't want to cut the pipe, anyone have any ideas how i can manage to get these two bolts out?....Its the only thing thats holding me back from pulling the motor. Thanks!
    1992 Festiva L....waiting on a motor swap, and rocker repair.....either repainting with Candy apple red or Midnight Blue

The factory nuts don't have much wrench meat on them. I had to chisel a notch in mine and beat them to the left. Then cleaned up the threads with a die. Be sure to use thicker nuts.

Comment

thanks george, ill give it a try....something as small as that creates a huge headache lol
      1992 Festiva L....waiting on a motor swap, and rocker repair.....either repainting with Candy apple red or Midnight Blue

Comment

Can always unbolt the downpipe from the manifold, if you're just trying to pull the motor. Then if you still need those nuts out you will have a lot more room to work on them.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Torch

Originally posted by AJboy775 View Post
          Ok, my idiot self was trying to unbolt the down pipe from the cat for removing the motor and the bolts were seized. After spraying some PB on both the bolt head and the threads and nut, leaving it sit overnight, I tried the next day to remove both. Needless to say the PB had no effect and I ended up 80% rounding the nuts off. Theres no room for an impact due to the cat cover so hand racheting was my only option. I really don't want to cut the pipe, anyone have any ideas how i can manage to get these two bolts out?....Its the only thing thats holding me back from pulling the motor. Thanks!
          Torch till cherry red.Cool till ambient.Wire brush all exsposed threads.Coat with pb blaster & turn till you hear the wonderfull snap sound. Then keep working the bolt back and forth. Applying oil as needed. I've found over the years its best to never just "run" the bolt out if it was seized.But rather work it back & forth like you would use a tap to cut threads. I've found that if I do this. The threads dont get "Rolled". Takes longer but is worth it in the long run.
          PS If the bolt head is rounded try pounding a smaller sized socket on it after you use the torch.
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

thanks guys, ill try all of the suggestions after i unglue my eyes from the tv after a horrible shooting at a high school near by

Comment

Working...
            X