Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

180,000 miles major minor maintenance blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180,000 miles major minor maintenance blues...

'91 Festiva L, 5-speed; motor excellent, Auto-Rx treatment 50,000 miles ago, plugs always like a new car's; 35 mpg/freeway, 13" rims & 155R-13 tires/42 mpg loafing around 60 mph, 27-30 mpg around town.*

This is a day I knew would come; easy to predict, also as such things go, nice to be parked at my apartment's door a few feet away. The alternator's shot; and when getting that tested last week, their technician noticed the water pump leaks.

Besides when low on oil I hear the lifters, suggesting the oil pump could be nearing dysfunction. I'm imagining the cam and crank shaft seals leak, behind the timing belt; as oil has shown up in the general area, while the need to add oil to the crankcase is obvious if not out of hand, I'd once never had to do. The valve cover gasket also seems culpable; and after carefully snugging the bolts on that twice I don't want to tempt the fates by over-tightening them, which as a mechanic who trained in my youth with cast iron is always one potential fault I've suffered. Without looking again at the books, the Haynes or Ford Festiva factory manual; I guess there are seals on the other ends of the crank and cam shafts both. So, hard to imagine they've not been affected and/or could be going bad in the not distant future.

I've also adjusted the clutch twice in the nearly 100,000 miles I've been with my Festiva, by far the best car I've ever owned; so guessing, the clutch, pressure-plate and throw-out bearing are near ready for replacement, or not too early for renewal to be on the safe side; which once done should be good to 400,000 miles or more, as I'm a feather-foot in many things and imagine getting as good or better than OEM quality replacement parts. I've always heard noise from the throw-out bearing, by the way; so have sometimes wondered why that has yet to fail?

Another problem is the radiator cooling fan; which for the first three years or so I had the car, I didn't notice never worked; which must be due to a faulty thermostat, is the best theory. I've been avoiding to try changing the thermostat, because of stories at this website about the likelihood of breaking the housing the thermostat is screwed into; which is a procedure I'm confident of success with reasonably enough, if I chose the time and place rather than dealing with things in a panic. So as a convenience I disconnected the wire from the thermostat to the radiator fan, so the fan would run all the time; I did only about three years ago, because of the frequent freeway traffic jams of stop and go traffic lasting miles during trips to Seattle and back ninety miles south of here. At the place where I had the charging system checked a week ago; I noticed the cooling fan wasn't working. I'd just given the battery a full charge with a trickle charger, then drove a few blocks to the shop; so with a full charge the fan should've been turning at full power, is my theory.

Which is the motor's short list of things a mental relief to do and/or have done all at once; rather than trying to approach these piecemeal. The place the alternator was tested at last week, where I'd gotten a new 75 month battery December of 2010; offered to change the water pump and timing belt if I provide the latter, for around $225 including the cost of a replacement water pump. But, as a radiator/battery place; they don't have the expertise to also change the crank and cam shaft seals behind the timing belt, and while into the motor that deep, I'd think changing the oil pump at the same time would be a natural too.

What has always been my fantasy since about 120,000 miles as I began to imagine the inevitable; would be to find a place to pull the whole engine/trans-axle assembly and do everything at once. Particularly since I'm half-way through the Aspire brake swap, with a '97 Aspire rear axle already installed; and all the rest of that Aspire's front-end parts sitting in the car under or behind the front seats. I took off a car with an automatic apparently; April of '07 at John's Wrecking Yard in Eureka, CA. I've also changed one of the Festiva's half-shafts, and have installed the racing/lowering springs from Festiva Motor Sports front and rear; so figure I'm reasonably technically competent, with all the necessary tools, except for a hoist and an engine stand.

Now, I plan for the next few months saving money & acquiring the parts, to make the whole procedure at once feasible; then from there and during that process, attempt to figure out how to actually accomplish my goal of long-term peace of mind with my car. Rather than being tortured by both frequent enough breakdowns, as well as the vulnerability those commonly occasion; as well as the brutal disruption of the rest of my life's interests, far from automotive maintenance realms. Focused in part around the arts and music as well as leftist radical political notions, of reasonable ideology and rational thought; as a long time student of macrobiotics & yoga, also a writer and a musician without great talent, though love of music: Into 19th century notions of what defines a gentleman; then called "lute & letters."

What gets knarly; is trying to imagine somehow pulling the engine and trans-axle in the parking space in front of my apartment in this ninety unit four building complex in the town's apartment ghetto, then bringing those inside the one bedroom 450 square foot apartment's front room, to give them a deluxe treatment there. I try to imagine other resources, though then having to depend on others for seeming charity. Actually their advantaging of themselves, where I'm prone to think I'm well into the legal category called "usufruct" which means the right of using someone else's property, if not an interruption or loss in anyway to them. So, of course that would require negotiation, always the imagining of which at least; seems worse than acting more independently.

I've a trusty forty year-old ten-speed, bought as a $20 unrideable wreck in '97;(actually a fifteen speed now from a front three-ring sprocket given me at bike shop years ago in Arcata, CA invaluable when I'm out of condition) I'm an expert with, nearly a work of art with fenders, front and rear carrier racks, generator head and tail lights with reflectors everywhere. I'm used to getting around on for months at a time even in the worst of winter weather; if also too much girth now to get into a $5 Navy surplus parka that wasn't too snug three years ago, that with a pair of east German army surplus rain pants; stood me well while homeless all the fall, winter and spring of '98 in northern Humboldt county; allowing savings enough not paying rent, to buy the Festiva that June. An arduous, unexpected, adventure falling back on an old boy scout's out of doors training; added to frequently enough since then, in other stretches without paying rent and lacking any domicile, or living out of cars. Nothing like the couch surfing with friends some people experience as homelessness, and others often imagine of someone else as articulate and educated as myself; I guess? [http://www.voiceofroma.com]

I'm a person at sixty years old now,(an event I'm trying to promote as my "mid life crisis") always someone peripheral to the groups I've been attracted to and involved with, so basically an unintentional loner searching for reasonable companionship and ending up with a plethora of interesting friends; whose life's important persons and acquaintances are almost all quite physically remote from me here near the Canadian border. I'm also well adapted to the Festiva in many ways impossible to imagine duplication of with any other vehicle; short of something horse-drawn by just one of those: Particularly as a person with physical disabilities from early in life and juvenile spinal disease poorly diagnosed until I was twenty-four, and the complex ramifications of that; over a quarter century dependent upon SSDI/SSI income, with HUD section 8 rent subsidy ten years & food stamps since leaving California, with the latter always a little demeaning perhaps.

The car's great rolled metal futon frame roof-rack for instance; which with the stiff FMS suspension, is at least as handy as having a small pick-up truck when needing to move myself, averaging 30 mpg. As with eight massive loads from Eureka the winter and spring of '08 nearly seven hundred miles: When circumstances dictated, since too poor at any given time when that was crucial, to rent a Budget truck and a rig for towing the car: While also renting storage on this end, along with the 10' x 15' unit in Eureka; as well as the cost moving into the apartment I have now.

While also always having to guard as well as possible, against suspicious circumstances feasibly contrived against me; from within entities like vast commercial banks, some of whose employees seem to act with cavalier abandon & impunity using the facilities they've access to, illegally; to advance their right-wing and reactionary political agendas. Seeming "mistakes" whose coincidence always seemed to coincide regularly with my extreme vulnerability. As someone a leftist radical; yet very much by the seat of my pants, far too irregular to be claimed by any one organization as their own. In effect, an elder mascot once a junior one of those: Imagined continually drawing heart enough from shared concepts of the troubling state of humanity, I'll be a self-righting phenomena emotionally. Which when that works, is great; right? I'm always game.

Last edited by bobstad; 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

That asterisk.

*Purchased June of '99 for $2500 with 85,000 miles, from a jet helicopter mechanic in the Coast Guard, my age or a little younger; I think perhaps then disciplining a teenage son of three of those, for some sort of serious enough transgression; in what was said to've been the mechanic's wife's car they'd gotten new stationed in Alaska: Where a nasty father/son looking project seemed to loom, in their garage in government Coast Guard housing in Eureka, CA as a phenomena I've also had to endure stoically, of my misled or at least adventurous youth.

Which seemed for the once a happy youth with a Festiva; to be some sort of early '30s Ford with a Chevrolet V-8. By now that young man is likely through college and the stupid hot-rod a dangling memory of worst case scenarios; guessing, in taking his punk persona too seriously before out on his own. As mentioned above the timing belt cover on this car is obviously heat damaged, since warped severely at one point in the car's career, before we encountered; I've read at this website is a rare thing, I've never seen on any wrecking yard Festiva or Aspire. Noticed particularly when changing the timing belt myself, at 100,000 miles.
    Last edited by bobstad; 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I keep imagining "Sasquatch" showing up unexpectedly in Bellingham; to tow me up over the border, where we'd go through "The FestivaL Car" with a fine toothed comb. I could probably drive that far with no problems; if nice to have someone following me in case of the problematic.

I'm now legal again to drive there in Canada; which a ten year ban had previously made impossible, the consequence of my California DUI April 15th, 2001 due to a brake malfunction: And likely my just prior to then pull off of a half-pint of brandy, less than a quarter mile before the freeway off-ramp; where the brakes didn't catch until just 125 feet before the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp, and a car parked there I managed to avoid rear-ending with "PHYSIX" California vanity plates.

One of the selling points of the Festiva had been a recent brake job done by the Coast Guard jet helicopter mechanic; which when taking the car to the Eureka Ford dealership, a couple weeks after my DUI, their mechanic identified as the cause of the brake malfunction. Due to a frozen pin on the right front brake caliper; which is supposed to float on that pin during cornering, that hadn't been adequately lubricated.

The mechanic was willing to testify in court this caused the brake malfunction; though despite gently sideswiping the car at the bottom of the off-ramp with "PHYSIX" vanity plates, by jumping the curb on that car's left side at the last moment; I was never charged with any vehicular crime, only the DUI.

I'd been meaning to go to a nearby park and lay in the sun early that afternoon; in Trinidad, CA that's about fifteen or twenty miles north of Eureka. My first moving violation in a car since '70 and only one at all since '82 for five mph over the speed limit in a speed trap in Simi Valley, CA riding a 350cc motorcycle when boxed in by cars all around me.

The ticket in '70 was for twenty over the speed limit in a 35 mph zone which typically people would cross over well above the speed limit since in an industrial zone with only well marked railroad crossings with lights and barriers that were rarely if ever down and also four lane nearly as then with light traffic, at exactly the same time I was supposed to be in court fighting another ticket, a stupid one for reckless driving; when I pulled quickly into a left turn lane with a cop behind me I'm certain was done legally. I then decided to become adequately circumspect about my driving habits, to avoid such dumb enough encounters with the law. That twenty over, was the third of my youthful moving violations; the first one I took to court and won, reasoning the unlikely possibility I'd been "fishtailing" around a corner as charged. In a front-wheel drive '64 MG 1100 which makes a Festiva seem overpowered by comparison.

I'm currently wondering if in fact I've been suffering prejudice against me for a modest drinking habit; by Buddhism? Sort of a long subject to try to get into adequately; merely one which can sometimes resonate in various ways, which cause me a little suspicion. A religion I've not any more familiarity with than any other. Except for always, being a non-believer; willing to recognize like selling a bogus mine, there is always enough gold salted around to fool people with.
      Last edited by bobstad; 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

That asterisk.

*Purchased June of '99 for $2500 with 85,000 miles, from a jet helicopter mechanic in the Coast Guard, my age or a little younger; I think perhaps then disciplining a teenage son of three of those, for some sort of serious enough transgression; in what was said to've been the mechanic's wife's car they'd gotten new stationed in Alaska: While a nasty father/son looking project loomed, in their garage in government Coast Guard housing in Eureka, CA as a phenomena I've also had to endure stoically of my misled or at least adventurous youth.

Which seemed for the once a happy youth with a Festiva, to be some sort of early '30s Ford with a Chevrolet V-8. By now that young man is likely through college and the stupid hot-rod a dangling memory of worst case scenarios; in taking his punk persona too seriously before out on his own. As mentioned above the timing belt cover on this car is obviously heat damaged, since warped severely at one point in the car's career, before we encountered; I've read at this website is a rare thing, I've never seen on any other wrecking yard Festiva or Aspire. Noticed particularly when changing the timing belt myself, at 100,000 miles.

Comment

I've been imagining "Sasquatch" showing up unexpectedly to tow me to his place where we'd go through "The FestivaL Car" with a fine tooth comb. I could probably easily drive all the way without problem; though nice to have someone following along just in case.

I'm now finally legal again to drive in Canada; released from a ban, due to a DUI April 15th, 2001 in California and the ten years that caused me from entering north of the border, driving a car. This was because of a brake malfunction, where I managed to avoid rear-ending a car with "PHYSIX" California vanity plates parked at the bottom of a freeway off-ramp; when the Festiva's brakes only took hold 125 feet from the stop sign. The other car seemed to be waiting at the bottom of the off-ramp forever; as I frantically kept on pushing down on the brake pedal as hard as I could.

One of the Festiva's selling points had been a recent brake job done by the jet helicopter mechanic in the Coast Guard selling me the car; which also turned out to be the cause of the brake malfunction. Two weeks following the incident I took the Festiva to the Eureka, CA Ford dealership and their mechanic showed me how a crucial pin on the top of the right front brake caliper had frozen, due to lack of adequate lubrication. He'd been willing to testify in court this caused the brake malfunction, though despite gently sideswiping the car with the "PHYSIX" vanity plates, by jumping the curb to that car's left at the last minute; I was never charged with any vehicular crime, only the DUI. I'd taken a pull off a half-pint of brandy less than a quarter mile from the freeway off-ramp in Trindad, CA I figure caused the breath test to be unusually high; planning on spending the early afternoon laying in the sun there at a nearby public park. Both Easter Sunday and tax day that year; traffic was light to the point of being negligible, except for the car with the "PHYSIX" plates.

This was my first ticket driving in a car since '70; when I'd gotten a twenty over the speed limit in a 35 mph zone at exactly the moment I was supposed to've been in court fighting a stupid reckless driving ticket making a quick turn into left turn lane in front of a cop car I'm sure I'd done legally. The twenty over infraction, my third moving violation as a youth, was in a four lane inner city road part of an industrial district, whose only feasibly confusions were well marked railroad crossings with flashing lights and barriers that were rarely if ever used; where people were in the habit of constantly exceeding the speed limit I'd done in the middle of the day with as usual there light traffic, and with clear fine weather. My first moving violation was one I took to court and won; by reasoning the unlikelihood of my "fishtailing" as charged, in a front-wheel drive '64 MG 1100 which makes a Festiva seem over powered by comparison. I also got a five over the limit ticket on the freeway in Simi Valley in '82; riding a 350cc motorcycle when boxed in all around by cars, going through a speed trap. That third twenty over the speed limit infraction in '70; decided me to adequately modify my driving habits, so as to avoid all such future encounters with law-enforcement.

One thing I tend to sometimes theorize, too deep to go into any discourse here about; is that I'm targeted for prejudice in my modest drinking habit, by certain types of Buddhists. As a non-believer of any religion and no more familiar with Buddhism than any other; except to know that like bogus mines being sold as producers, religions are salted with enough gold to fool those who want to believe, haven't adequate imagination not to, or are cynics who use religions and/or other phony enough things to their advantage.
          Last edited by bobstad; 03-10-2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

well, obviously my snafu folks, at least in part. I don't know how the second post titled both "That asterisk" got posted.

I'd been thinking the one about Sasquatch hadn't been posted at all; so tried to recreate the first of those from memory. I just used the official procedure of the website, to try to contact an "administrator" so someone would clean things up, since I've gone past the thirty minute limit, hence unable even to delete a post let alone change any dialogue of any of those.

I probably should've sent a message to this forum's moderator; which is a notion from hind-sight? If things look as now in awhile, that's probably what I'll try doing. Sorry...life in the atheist lane; can get teejuss.
            Last edited by bobstad; 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^amphetamines^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Bob I'll ignore the Pink High top basketball shoes. But that Bow Tie on the Festy grill must go. I'm going to complain to the mods !
                ps on a more serious note.Maybe you should put this Bio in the "Garage" threads.Anyway good luck to you and your Festy.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Not that at all!

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^amphetamines^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  My habit is the thirty 5mg tablets of generic Vicodin aka hydrocodone, I've been getting monthly for chronic pain management since December of '07; along with an espresso or two daily.

Due to ramifications of early life & juvenile spinal disease causing atrophied back musculature; where as I age the muscles used to taking up the slack, are also sort of d-isgusted at being continually abused.

Still though; definitely a chemical loop of some sort, I have to work at consciously managing. A frequent enough alternative dealing with back pain, I never combine with the drug; is use of alcohol, a person also has to be not disingenuous about-with themselves.

Abandoning of all such accessories too, while working at good health and exercise; is another alternative a person greatly likes to balance at effectively.

Comment

You write well for a druggie. I would leave the motor in the bay since it is mostly only ancillary stuff that needs to be replaced. Wait until the clutch is wasted before replacement. Pressure wash first to make repairs tolerable.

Comment

You only get 35 on the hi-way??!! Wow I would be pissed.

Comment

Hello Bobstad

I really hadn't read any of your previous posts before I started a dialogue with you, I had only skimmed them briefly.

I think you're really cool, and I'm going to have to try to convert you....into a Hillbilly.:p

My screen name is an abrevation of Big Electric Cat; an Adrian Bleu, heavy metal song that consists of Adrian thrashing an electric guitar while chanting "Big Electric Cat" repeatedly.

Everything is permitted, not all things are beneficial.

I can't bring any blue grass/saxophone music to mind. I haven't been listening to any music lately, but I have a nice mid-fi system with a vacuum tube amplifier and ADS speakers.

That's it for now...
                        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                          You write well for a druggie. I would leave the motor in the bay since it is mostly only ancillary stuff that needs to be replaced. Wait until the clutch is wasted before replacement. Pressure wash first to make repairs tolerable.
                          Druggie ? Why would you say something like that? I gather he's on them for chronic pain. Not recreation. Or am I reading you wrong? 30 pills a month = @ 1 daily......
                          Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-13-2012, 07:29 AM.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

^Pretty sure tongue was off center there.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

The generic version of Vicodin is much "cleaner" than the name brand to most
                              people. The drug is only effective for about 2 1/2 hours and does not effect your
                              thought process. You must choose what part of the day will benefit the most by
                              its use. The drug is more addictive than other drugs but people with chronic pain
                              resist addiction . The chance of your body building an intolerance to this drug is very
                              low.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X