New toy..74 Gremlin X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toy..74 Gremlin X

Made a roadtrip down to Orlando yesterday and picked up a 74 amc Gremlin X. My girlfriend has been dreaming of owning one forever and she's the one that found it! Didn't really know what to expect, called the owner up and he had no clue about the car. It was given to him by his family from his deceased uncle. But from the few pictures that I was sent, didn't look like I could do too bad. Only was asking 5k.

Well 12hrs later we were looking at it in person. Car was a bit dirty, but looked like show car quality with a buff. The car was sitting on some chrome cragars, and noticed some traction bars out back and thought..hmmmmm. Popped the hood and holy jesus tapdancing eating cornbread on a hot saturday night in august! AMX 390 motor swap with a large nasty cam, edelbrock 750cfm 4 barrel, 1inch spacer, edelbrock torquer intake manifold, hooker headers, full true dual 3in ehuast with flowmasters, and a clean wire tucked bay! T10 4speed trans, with a Hurst t handle with reverse lock out. Mint condition reupholstered interior, new dash, new guages, new carpet, new headliner. Peeked under the chassis and notice it had a complete frame off restoration, the car looked brand new. So I pop back up to my feet and say man this car is alot more than I figured it would be...the seller took this as "I don't wanna pay 5k" which what I meant was holy $h@! this thing is badass! lol So he said, "I really would just like to get this car sold since its taking space up in my driveway...how about 3k? :eeeeeek:

I said SOLD!!!

Here's a few pics of it loaded up ready to head home...

I got so excited I forgot to take engine bay pics, but will do so tomorrow!

'93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

That one looks beautiful!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Very cool!!! Congrats!

I had a '74 Gremlin X too! Came with the 304, I put a 360 in it. Really fast car. I'll see if I can find a pic someplace.

Would love to find a good Sportabout wagon!
      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
      Mark S.

Comment

Now Bustiva! That was one heck of a deal! Good score!
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

how's that for a miss-communication working to your advantage? That is an awesome deal! Congrats!
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

WOW
            I had a friend with a black and gold one way back in the 80's He was going for AMX look
            it was very fast and cool .
            Donn

Comment

WOW! What a steal. If you haven't already check out http://theamcforum.com/forum/. I'm working in Elko, Nevada for a couple weeks right now, but I will be flying into to Denver where I had driven my Eagle wagon to a couple weeks ago and towing home an Eagle Kammback. It's a cross between an Eagle and a Gremlin. They only made 6,000 of them. I don't have a picture of the one I'm buying but, here is what a nice one looks like.

Since we're on the subject of AMC's, on my way out to Elko, I stopped in Provo, Utah and got a ride in an Eagle with 35" tires and a 03 Corvette LSI. It was fast and very capable offroad. http://provo.craigslist.org/cto/2869738752.html There is an extra zero on the price. If I had the cash, it would be mine.
              Last edited by Eaglefreek; 03-15-2012, 11:16 PM.
              Rick
              1993 Ford Festiva
              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
              2000 Ford E350

Comment

... Nice..
                A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I had a friend who owned a custom 71 Gremlin. He told me the car was sold 4k back in 71 and he purchased 5k of mods on top of it.

Apparently not a single car could put up to it in those days. Until one day, he told me he was rolling from Montreal to Quebec (3hrs straight strip), cruising easily at 100, then a car passed him at 120. He pushed to reach it at 120 and then said car flew by like he was stopped. That car was a 69 AC Cobra.

I wonder what your Gremlin does on the 1/4 mile. That thing is a beast.
                  J-S

'93L "Pepestiva" - 160 miles old Road Slave

Comment

BEAST! Give us updates as you can! Congrats on a rare score with upgrades! WOW!!
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Looks like you got a really good steal! Congrats!
                      The Festiva Store
                      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Hope you pulled the drive shaft to tow it home.
                        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

i love those, their used to be a guy that raced one @ the old asheville speedway & it had a 401 in it (i think) & he always won or finished in the top 3 every week. nice find!
                          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                            Hope you pulled the drive shaft to tow it home.
                            Exactly what I was thinking !

I towed my mustang from Indiana to FL backwards on a car dolly but the skinnys In the front made it sway really bad so we turned it around and took the driveshaft out and were pushin 90 mph the whole way home !
                            Last edited by M3NTAL; 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM.
                            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                              Exactly what I was thinking !

I towed my mustang from Indiana to FL backwards on a car dolly but the skinnys In the front made it sway really bad so we turned it around and took the driveshaft out and were pushin 90 mph the whole way home !
                              I put my baja super beetle on the car dolly backwards. Didn't have a problem, but only towed 15 miles and didn't go that fast. I imagine the weight on the front of the mustang and the skinny tires combined were the reason for the swaying.
                              The Festiva Store
                              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X