Swap Aspire 5speed into auto Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap Aspire 5speed into auto Festiva

I would like to find a parts car Aspire for the brakes and suspension mods, but I also want to convert my automatic Festiva to a 5 speed. Can an Aspire be used for a transmission swap to a Festiva? What else would I need?

Can be done (especially when you see what gearhead guys like DamKid are pulling off with shoehorning V6s into Festys) but disabling the electrical and mechanical auto features is going to be a real chore for the average Joe. Also not very sure Aspire pedals and frame are compatible with Festy innards. Clutch cable mounts are not factory welded-on in auto Festys. I'm told Aspire trannys bolt in direct (but make sure you hang on to all of the driveshafts, motor mounts etc while you're adapting) and for sure the tranny will bolt up to the Festy engine. Aspire engine is also a B3 but has more efficient roller rocker arms which seems to produce another 6-7 hp (read the Wikipedia Mazda B-series engines entry).
    However I admire your motive; by my thinking a manual B3 is not far removed from an auto B6 for zip and for sure it will be a lot more fun to drive. 5 gears instead of 3.

Comment

aspire axles would not work - but that's minor

aspire gearbox would work (direct bolt on the engine, not direct bolt on the x-member)
      rusEfi - DIY ECU
      93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

^ +1 especially when using an auto crossmember. the front trans mount will have to be fabed and likely the rear modded as well.

the electronics will be easy to incorporate between the two, simple wiring.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

IBTM
          admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            ^ +1 especially when using an auto crossmember. the front trans mount will have to be fabed and likely the rear modded as well.

Ive got a five speed cross member.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Thanks Fresh, and everyone else for the replies. I love my festiva. I really want it to be a little more highway friendly though. The interstate north of town traffic flows at 75-80 mph and the little automatic is wound at 4000 rpm at that speed. Not good

Comment

The Aspire final drive is slightly lower than a Festiva to accommodate the extra weight. A Festiva trans would be better for hwy travel.

Comment

I found a suspension/brake swap candidate this weekend with a 5 speed transmission. This car has seen better days lol. A trans swap may still be in my future.[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG][IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by whackasmallball View Post
                    ...and a turbo?!

Swapping that over too?
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Yeah, very tempting to put the turbo on. Dont want to sacrifice my engine in any way though. Want a safe, reliable setup, with maybe some mild boost. :-)

Comment

i have a auto festiva, then got a 5spd aspire and i swapped all the same stuff you did. i dont remember if i used the aspire 5spd member or the auto one, but i didnt mod anything, it all bolted right up. i used both aspire axles as well with the aspire brakes (calipers), everything else was festiva parts. i did this outside with no prior knowledge to what to use and what would work or wouldnt, i just learnt as i went along. I used up a lot of that aspire in parts for the festiva.

edit : theres also something to do with the tie rods, i believe you have to use the outers. i remember the i did it one way and they were too short so i had to use the others. i think it was festiva inners and aspire outers. i replaced with new moog stuff after i sorted it out. same with festiva LCA and sway bar...i believe the sway bar from the festiva stayed, i know they are different between the two.
                        Last edited by battleaxe; 05-16-2012, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X