Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype electric car!

the home site is www.commutercars.com

All Electric. the sporty ones projected cost is 108g...

0-60 in 4 sec
    60-80 mile range.
    12 sec 1/4

also prototype hydrogen bike
    100 mile range on $4 of hydrogen
    up to 50 mph
    We have 20+ years' experience in providing fuel cell technology globally. Our hydrogen fuel cell components are helping our customers on the way to net zero..

Wow, that is one expensive car.

Cool design, but I'd rather they chuck in a 20hp motercycle engine in there and slash $80k from the price.

edit: On closer look, I really like that car. Everything except the whole electric thing. A-arm suspension, coilovers, race compound yokohamas, tandem race seats. It's like my dream car, only not because it's 3000 lbs and electric.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Here's another one, built about 15 mis from where I live.
      Myers EV helps consumers take back control of their transportation dollars with an electric car so efficient it’s like driving on 75¢ gasoline, and so affordable it costs less to buy than the average used gas car.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

I'd be waiting to roll over...

Comment

They have a really low CG because of all the batteries. I still can't comprehend how, even without all the batteries, this thing ends up 300 lbs heavier than a festiva.

I'm going through their site and I really do like the car. There are just some things that I really don't understand about it. They aren't using many custom components. The batteries are just car batteries. I don't see how the price is so high unless they are trying to recoup all of their development time in the first year.

oh, and did I mention, 3000 lbs!! :shock:
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Anything that isn't mass produced is going to be expensive.
            97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
            92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
            95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

found this doing research in spare time when i was finishing up high school. just curious, why don't you like the fact that it's electric?

Comment

I don't like electric because I think it's too soon for the technology. The batteries are too heavy, and the range is too short. A small diesel engine could deliver the same results at a fraction of the weight.
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

hey someone put a cap on a glorified GOLF cart!!!!!

i would roll golf carts for fun when i was 16

Comment

that first one reminded me of a thinner bmw isetta from the front.
                    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
                      I don't like electric because I think it's too soon for the technology. The batteries are too heavy, and the range is too short. A small diesel engine could deliver the same results at a fraction of the weight.
                      Same results?? Infinite MPG? Zero fuel consumption? Never seen a diesel like that

Electrics are improving by leaps daily. Battery technology is good enough now to make a high speed, long range, low weight car - they're just too danged expensive.

Don't judge electrics by their history. There are a BUNCH of 6, 8, and 10 second electric drag cars. Saw one run an 8 sec. quarter mile on ONLY capacitors! There are also EVs that can run 300 miles on a charge or more. Unfortunately, at this point, it's still very expensive to build an EV, and *mostly* you have to decide on speed OR range.

I'm seriously thinking about building an electric Festiva. I drive about 10 miles per day commuting, and rarely get over 40 MPH in the daily grind. I could build something to those specs pretty easily at only 156V or a little more. Unfortunately, it will still cost about $5K. It will take a long time to pay for itself figuring about 35MPG, even with gas at $3 or $4.

jeff

Comment

You still have to dactor in the cost of electricity and the times you can't drive it because of the limited range.

High end electric components are getting to be very good, but they just aren't ready for mainstream use yet. As you say, they are still way too expensive.
                        OX SMASH!!

Comment

an interesting link i found

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                          X