top 10 best mpg cars, which would you choose & why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top 10 best mpg cars, which would you choose & why

During the summer of 2008, gas prices averaged $4.50/gallon in the U.S. After the summer of the same year, prices went down to $2.00/gallon and people began to drive more. However, as of April 2013, gas prices has hovered around $4.00/gallon and it is predicted that it will reach more than $5.00/gallon within the next […]

for the money I like the fiesta and if I could afford it, the lexus.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Wow, what a sad list.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Scratch all the hybrids off! Actually, I like the Civic with the natural gas engine. I think we should all use natural gas, since it requires no modification to be used in cars.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I know you guys are gonna excomunicate me but I also like the look of the prius-c.
        may not have it once I drive one though.

admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Only nice car in there is the fusion , the rest is a big YAWN.

Comment

That IS a sad list. And a badly written one. "The most fuel efficient car on the market is the Toyota Prius, also the most demanding car in the U.S." It's a DEMANDING car? What does it need, affection? Chocolate?? Expensive clothes?? Sheeesh.....

The VW Golf diesel would be my choice out of these. It's a solid car, drives and handles great, looks good, is a hatchback. Also can be converted to WVO.
            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
            Mark S.

Comment

I bought the latest Motor Trend issue, which does a comparison test of seven econoboxes. The Accent came out on top. They didn't test the Fiesta.

I refuse to even consider hybrids, due to the higher prices, which negates the gas savings. Plus the extra complexity.

I've looked at some of these cars, and have come to the conclusion that a properly running and optioned Festy or Aspire is a far better choice economically. And I don't feel the need for the more modern conveniences such as Bluetooth, satellite radio, airbags, etc that these newer cars offer; plus you can add some of these things to Festys anyway, and Aspires already have airbags.

I feel that cars have gotten too complicated and comfort-oriented. More stuff keeps getting added to them, meaning more things willl eventually break down; and that extra stuff adds weight. The reason the newer econoboxes have six speeds is that they have gotten heavier, and the only way for them to get good mileage and have usable gear ratios is an even higher gear for the hwy.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm glad we don't have to make this choice.

Comment

I'm waiting for the Focus 1.0L EcoBoost 3cyl. 125HP, 120Lb/Ft TQ, up to 56mpg, mid 40's average.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

i say slap two of those together and have your cake and eat it too!! 2.0 TT v6 ftw
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd take the yaris just because the price point. Or I could spend the 11 grand on another festy and take an 80000 mile road trip. Just saying :-)
                      91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                      92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                      95 Grand Prix SE DD
                      Wife's Stuff:
                      89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                      97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                      Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

25 years ago there were new cars with the same mpgs as the cars on this list. Like someone said above, too many creature comforts adding weight. Other than airbags, a lot of weight could be dropped for mileage gain. Enviro impact of new batteries is never mentioned in any articles that I have read.

Comment

vw

Jetta with TDI, I have a 2012 sport wagon and love it. The torque is amazing and provides pleny of punch around town and averages 38 mpg.

Comment

I just threwup in my mouth

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

But you have to weigh in the more costly diesel fuel.
                              91 Festiva, BP, auto
                              69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 428 SCJ, 4 spd

Comment

Working...
                              X