Beautiful day to kill a Festy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful day to kill a Festy!

What a beatiful day to be out, amongst the wonders of nature!
    I was on my way to one of my favorite mushroom honeyholes. Driving down the highway, the cool breeze and sunshine, making you feel great to be alive, the radio playing some good tunes, taking it all in and enjoying the ride, when...what is THAT! I hear something above the radio, I turn the radio down ....and WHAT.....:eeeeeek: LOUD engine noise, sounds like a high school drum core playing under the hood! Look down and oil light is on! WHAT!..... Pull over quickly, pop the hood, and WHAT! ....the oil cap is not there! Oil has been blown all over the engine bay. OH ... NO ... This is NOT GOOD!
    Closer inspection reveals the cap wedged between valve cover and the Weber carb. Did it unscrew and come off by itself ? Did I not put it back on after checking the oil level? Don't know, don't matter now.

It ..is .. D.E.A.D. :angel5: R.I.P.

Top it off, I didnt find any 'shrooms, either!

....but it was a beautiful day!
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

April fools? I hope?

If not I'm sorry for your loss!

Mike
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Wow! Sorry to hear it. I think we had nearly the exact same setup so it will be sad not to have someone to share notes with. If you come to Louisville Ky I'll give you a good Aspire engine. Didn't use any oil at all. It's sitting in my garage gathering dust.

Comment

What kind of mileage do you get w/the Weber setup?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
          What kind of mileage do you get w/the Weber setup?
          Zero. It is dead.

Was getting around 35-40mpg, depending on my foot! :p

Originally posted by 2xclutchin View Post
          April fools? I hope?

If not I'm sorry for your loss!

Mike
          Not Apirl fools!

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
          Wow! Sorry to hear it. I think we had nearly the exact same setup so it will be sad not to have someone to share notes with. If you come to Louisville Ky I'll give you a good Aspire engine. Didn't use any oil at all. It's sitting in my garage gathering dust.
          It is dead, but not in the grave. Just not yet! Transplant time.
          Last edited by drddan; 04-01-2012, 06:48 PM.
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Sorry, it's just hard to take much seriously on the 1st of April!

That's too bad Carby's FTW.

Good luck, Mike
            Mike Holmgren
            Thief Rvr Fls, MN
            1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
            "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

This is just God's way of telling you to swap in an early B6. B3 carby intake manifold bolts right up FTW!
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thank God!

I was 99 percent positve about the B3 manifld on the B6, Tom. I was actually was going to call you, and ask about that! LOL

Trying to locate a B6 somewhere. Have any leads? PnP has a 95 MX3. Might stop by on my way home from work and see what it has.
                Last edited by drddan; 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

It has a JDM DOHC B3.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Yeah, a 1st gen B6 is the way to go. That's what I've got with a Weber and I just checked today and got 34.8 MPG. Almost all stop & go city driving. It will blow the doors off a stock Festy, guarantee it. Reliable too. If you are interested in my B3 just let me know.

Comment

Zoe, I am leaning towards a B6 ...but what do you want for the B3, and how many miles on it?
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

About 130000. There is no flywheel on it. Ran great. I always changed the oil every 2500 or so. You would be smart to go with the B6. I really like mine. I would give it away to a Festy lover. It would need a '93 crank pulley and the cam that comes with it doesn't have a lobe for a mechanical fuel pump. I always thought I might find a Festy with a blown engine and put it in that but if I could help someone out I would.

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                          Yeah, a 1st gen B6 is the way to go. That's what I've got with a Weber and I just checked today and got 34.8 MPG. Almost all stop & go city driving. It will blow the doors off a stock Festy, guarantee it. Reliable too. If you are interested in my B3 just let me know.
                          Plus a million. My EFI gen 2 B6 gets in the low 30s generally, but on the hwy at 60 it gets 42 MPG. It has a cat delete and advanced ignition timing. I estimate 95+ crank HP (stock is 83). I'm running premium due to the timing (which is only about 6% more expensive than regular, these days ).
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Wow. :eeeeeek: I just found a place that has...12 ...(no, not a typo) ...12.. B6 sohc engines! About 160 miles away, but there are NONE to be found here in STL.
                            They are open this friday, and I am off for good friday. :p
                            Dan

R.I.P.
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Sounds like a Good Friday road trip! Good luck, hope you get a good one. Be sure to look under the valve cover and find one with a golden/ tan color. Dark brown or crud buildup is no good. Might be a good thing after all. Better be careful to keep the oil cap on this one - just kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X