Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 festy update - finally got to drive it ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 festy update - finally got to drive it ........

so I could see how it ran after all the work that was done on it and I especially wanted to see what kind of mpg's I could expect. took it up to ceasers head which is a serious uphill twisty and then down hwy. 11 which is a 2 laner that is pretty much straight but has long hills up and down. its also 55 mph. drove it 175 miles total.

first off let me say I was impressed with the wide band range of 4th gear. I only had to down shift about 10-12 times going up the mtn. and I only had to go to 3rd, never 2nd and 4th pulled 6-8% curvey grades easily at 35mph average and sometimes 25 mph on upgrades that were straight aways. I also meandered all through the back country roads along the way. also the tranny shifts as good as I've ever seem - smoothe as silk.

I like the car (my first running feasy) overall - rode good with the new struts and I like the firm seats. just wish they had better lumbar support. no biggie - I have a strap-on for that. my aspire seats are only slightly better IMO (as far as MY comfort goes that is).

now for the kicker. I put 176 miles on it and it only took 4.32 gallons to top it back off!! thats a hair shy of 41 mpg. AND I ran the A/C for about 20 miles to see how it ran with that on - did great. looks like I have a new delivery car.
    I also believe I can tweak a little more out of it when I get the alignment done and run a couple cans of carb cleaner through it and get some fresh antifreeze in it. I'm running straight water with some flush in it now. That may not do anything but it may run a little more efficiantly which will help to some minor degree I would think.
    since I had new seals put in I will run synthetic oil in it next time around.

so hopefully I will end up getting 39-40 in town and a solid 45 on the hwy.

all in all I'm a happy camper, but I don't want 26 of the darn things.........maybe 1:p:
    Last edited by loknlode; 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

I use my '89 for deliveries also. 180 miles a day. Consistent 40+ MPG. Carbed 4-speed had to fill the shoes of my EFI 5-speed '93.

Comment

Working...
    X