B6 prices...wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 prices...wow!

I have been looking around at used engines, guaranteed used engines, and remanufactured engines. WOW!

Just used B6 engines=$250-$600
    Guaranteed used B6 engines(ones that have been gone over and checked)=$880-$900
    Rebuilt B6 engines $1050-$1150

I am trying to figure out why anyone would pay $900 for a guaranteed used engine, when a rebuilt can be had for $150 more.
    If I were to buy the $900 used one, I would still want to put some gaskets on it so I dont have oil leaks. Gasket kit=$150+ $900 engine=$1050!!! :eeeeeek:
    That is the price of the rebuilt engine.
    I need my Festy back on the road, I am tired of trying to find one good B6 to put in it.
    Seriously considering the rebuilt motor. (3 year warranty)
    Last edited by drddan; 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

3 year warrenty isn't a bad deal.... if you consider not all things are replaced in a rebuild if they spec out. so 3 years to work out all the bugs isn't bad at all.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

got mine for $40 at the Upull. granted it uses a bit of oil and you never know what you get til you get it in. A reman engine isnt a bad option if you can afford it. knowing you got a new motor with a warrenty is worth a lot. $1000 fpr a reman seems pretty reasonable.
      07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85
      91 Festiva DD B6, M5, AC, PS
      90 Festiva figure 8 racer
      90 Mustang LX, LSX, 4L80. AFONOMO

Comment

If you can find a rebuildable core, you can do a complete and proper rebuild for around $500 to $700. That includes new pistons, oil & water pump, grinding the crank, honing the block and everything. If you find a good enough core, you could re-use the pistons and just polish the crank. I'll have around $800 to $900 in mine, but that includes the $250 for the original motor and extra machine work that normally wouldn't need done.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

i am thinking of doing a b6 swapover when my funds are a bit more substancial, however, i have a few questions about the b6 and the b6t..

1 - Is the B6 a DOHC like the B6T or is that only limited to the B6T?
          2 - Is the B6 an EFI motor or Carburettor? i understand that this can be modified to be a carburettor if need be.
          3 - Where can i find a good B6X in Australia? (The X means i'm not sure if i want the turbo as i have never had one and not sure if i would need that kind of power yet and this decision is also determined by the answer of the previous question and please let me know even if the motor has a turbo as i haven't decided, and would also just be for interest sakes as i will presume to think that the turbo can be removed and just made into a stock B6 ----> Need clarification on this), (no i'm not asking people to shop for me, i'm simply asking if anyone would know, where in Australia is a well known outlet to get motors, reconditioned motors, etc that don't cost the earth. . .
          4. Can people please tell me what model cars had the B6X motors please so i can start looking around for one as my GF is going to get rather ANCY about me doing the whole swap thing and i think she'll be one to ask about how long it's going to take and all that.
          5. Is there a preferable/particular combination of transmission/clutch/flywheel to go with the new B6 motor that is more suitable (or will allow much smoother/better performance) or is it easier to use the existing transmission.clutch/flywheel from the B3 setup?
          6. Would the original b6/transmission/flywheel setup fit into the festiva at all? as i hear the transmissions that come with the B6 can range upto 2 grand (from the mazda 323 familia's anyways) in price and i figure that it would be suitable since it i hear that they came with the B6 motor.

The other thing is, i need someone with much more experience who can mentor me on a project like this as i wouldn't have the foggiest really on where to start and that i don't really have the equipment to do it... i mean i have the basic idea of removing the engine and transmission, cleaning the engine bay and doing mods for any new changes as well as install, but i think my main concern would be rewiring the new harness to suit as well as a 2nd or 3rd set of hands make things like this light work. Anyone with a garage full of tools who would like to help me undertake a project from a B3 to a B6? I would be most grateful and i will allow you to keep the original B3 motor and i will supply minor parts such as gaskets to do a rebuild so you can sell it if you like.. i will buy the new motor/car with motor etc. Victoria would be preferable, but if need be i would go as far as NSW (I live in Gippsland, Victoria)

if this came across as confused at all, i will be happy to clarify and i apologize to the OP for semi hijacking the thread, i just felt it fit in with the whole B6 topic is all.
          Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-20-2012, 10:19 AM.
          Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
          Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
          Highway - 7.32L/100km
          City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I'd probably figure up how much time and money I want to put into an engine, with the long term goals in mind. Try not to let one bad apple spoil the bunch, a lot of guys here have luck with used jy motors. If you could rebuild it yourself you could probably come out saving some money, but if your in a hurry, maybe one of those reman'd engines would be the way to go? My BP would probably have ran for a long time straight out of the junkyard, with a good seafoam cleaning. Like arty said, as long as parts are within spec you could reuse them if you wanted to rebuild.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

your prices is my dream!!! here a used b6 with no waranty and no check up is 1600$
              2 month ago i bought this for my car.it dosent look like a nice engine

Comment

^

Lol, can someone enlighten me as to what is up with the intake and transmission? (I've never seen an auto Festy tranny)
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

It looks like a 5 sp manual with dual SU's ??

edit, blown up bigger the carbs look like dual
                  dellorto or weber copies and maybe a 4sp trans.
                  Last edited by Movin; 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i made a mistake!!!
                    i didnt buy! i wanted to buy!!

Comment

Haha..a 4 speed manual tranny for a b6? It looks like a clutch cable bracket to me..but I dont know..there's no fifth gear cover..?????
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                        ....there's no fifth gear cover..?????
                        Maybe the tranny is an E-series....
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          3 year warrenty isn't a bad deal.... if you consider not all things are replaced in a rebuild if they spec out. so 3 years to work out all the bugs isn't bad at all.
                          Festboy, I have heard of these horror stories!
                          One cylinder stock size, the one next to it .010 over, next to it .020 over, then another stock size...etc
                          I am undecided what I want to do at the moment. Problem is, there are not very many to be found around here at the yards at all. When I bought the bad motor, I had been looking hard for 2 weeks. Closest one was 140 miles away and they arent open saturday's. (when I would be able to get it)

...and there is the fact I need this up and running fast! Yes, I could build one and am very capable to do it, but the time factor of farming out the machine work, or honing it myself and blah..blah is too time consuming.
                          ...and thats if I can find a reasonablely priced motor to work with, which at the moment there are none around.
                          It may come to me building one, but I like the drop it in and go aspect of the rebuilt motors, but am leery of what may be in them, like you mentioned.

Hmm....decisions ....decisions. :p
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Well, I decided to try a used engine once more. I found another B6 finally. On the phone all day, found one for $500. Told him the bad experience I had with the other B6, and he assured me it wouldnt happen with him.
                            Put a down payment on it, and it should be here tuesday, and they will deliver it!
                            Keeping my fingers crossed.
                            Last edited by drddan; 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM.
                            Dan

R.I.P.
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Good luck with this one!
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X