Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brakes: Raybestos PG vs. Wagner Thermoquiet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Raybestos PG vs. Wagner Thermoquiet?

For all you mechanics or folks who've done a lot of brake work and maybe testing, how do the following parts stack up in terms of quality?

Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads and shoes (for Aspire).

Raybestos Professional Grade Plus brake pads (for Aspire).

Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors (for auto Aspire).

I would think they are all pretty good parts, as they are marketed as "premium" parts. Am I right? Would there be any differences in their quality and/or performance? Or are they possibly overrated?

What would you say would be the best parts for an auto Aspire brake system?

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

If I had to choose between the pads you listed I suspect the wagner has more metalic
    as the braking effect is better with less pedal pressure than pg-plus. PG plus seem to
    be slightly dustier as well. I have been using raybestos metalic police grade where available. The carbon fiber pads are good too. Ceramic pads seem to be hard on rotors
    because they can heat the rotors up more without pad failure..and they do. They warp
    rotors. I can feel the difference between pads, but I cannot feel any difference in rotors that have been slotted or otherwise improved. Quality I can feel, If the castings have core shift , a common fault, this places more metal on one side of the cooling fins and
    makes a hot side and causes some brake fade. I believe your auto brakes are not solid ?
    Below are some brakes from oreilly's and summit.
    Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® - Disc Brake Pads
    Part # 0466.20
    Line: PFC
    Online:
    Available
    Store:
    Usually Avail. 2-3 Days
    Quantity
    for this item onlyAdd to Printable List $64.99 per Set

BrakeBest Select Ceramic - Disc Brake Pads
    Part # C466
    Line: BB
    Online:
    Available
    Store:
    Available
    Quantity
    for this item onlyAdd to Printable List $46.99 per Set

Below is brakes I would like to try, testing them in all conditions.
    EBC Brakes
    You’ve invested a lot of time and money in your vehicle. That’s why it’s important to get brake components from trustworthy brands like EBC Brakes, which sets the standard for stopping power. EBC Brakes’ line of Redstuff Brake Pads for street performance vehicles provide dependable performance with reduced dust. Yellowstuff Kevlar pads offer a huge heat range, making them ideal for high-speed cars and heavy-duty trucks alike. And EBC Brakes’ Greenstuff Brake Pads are available in three formulas to provide optimum braking performance across the automotive spectrum. Take advantage of totally free shipping on all EBC Brakes products! We’ll ship your order via ground shipping anywhere in the contiguous U.S. for free—
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i don't touch either... especially the wagners. i've always had issue with them and their lack of cold bite and feel.

Karl, if you have the option, get some autozone duralast pads or prostops from pepboys (both have good cold bite and pedal feel). stay away from ceramic brake pads period.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Arty, I put ceramic pads on Luxstiva, but since then you're the second or third person to say not to go with them. They seemed to do okay and were low dust.

As for the Pep Boys Pro Stops, will the basic ones do or would you recommend the Pro Stop Platinums?:

Checking AZ now:

About the same price spread for Duralast and Duralast Gold. Could these be the same parts from the original supplier?

Thanks,

Karl

Comment

I too hate the Wagners. Have them Hula right now; like using bars of soap as brake pads...

I'm going back to cheapo Asvance Auto pads; lots of dust, but great performance.

Oh, and ceramics INCREASED the stopping distance and pedal effort on my '04 Mustang.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Jim, here's the link to the Advance brake pad page:

Do you mean the $31 "Wearever Gold" the $20 "Wearever Silver" or the $12 "Economy Black" pads?

He he he. Actually, it's possible the cheapest, having the least warranty, bites the best but wears the fastest. Am I right?

Karl

Comment

Full metalic bites the best but I don't know of a readily available brake
              pad like the police grade for our cars.

What ever Arty posts I will try it too. Maybe put a big load of firewood
              on and come off the mountain..If they don't work at least I'll have something
              that floats to get me ashore!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Movin and Karl, you'll want the Prostop, OR platinums (the standard valuegrade white box units are crap). either "pro" units have good wear charicteristics, though the non platinums tend to dust a little more.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X