Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage

Just filled up. Got 43 mixed driving. Feels good. Gas is $4.13 by me.

4.13 ouch its 3.50 here
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Got 42.8 today myself. Carbed 4-sp!

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
        Just filled up. Got 43 mixed driving. Feels good. Gas is $4.13 by me.
        At pure-gas.org, the zoomable map shows a number of stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline in the Florida Keys. Quickly looked at, it seems the stations have higher octanes in 100% pure gasoline, probably due to the many large vehicles with trailers. But you can personally see if they have 87 octane in 100% pure gasoline. Report the station details to pure-gas.org so others desiring 100% pure gasoline will know what to expect.

My 88 carbureted Festiva w/4sp. averaged 42.1 with 10% ethanol blends. After switching to 100% pure gas just before last winter, my mpg increased to 45.5 mpg INCLUDING THE NORTHERN U.S. WINTER DRIVING. Our 3 gasoline engines are smoother, quieter, & vehicles need less downshifting while ascending hills. Two of our 3 cars set their all-time high mpg tanks within 3 weeks of switching to 100% pure gasoline, the Festiva hitting 57.5mpg!
        Last edited by litesong; 04-28-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
          4.13 ouch its 3.50 here
          pure-gas.org indicates you have two stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline. Your region is one of the densest areas with stations selling 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline, specially toward Nashville.

Use 100% pure gasoline. After switching to 100% ethanol-free gasoline, our 3 cars' mpg increased 6%, 7-8% & 8%. All engines are smoother, quieter & less downshifting is needed to ascend hills.

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
            pure-gas.org indicates you have two stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline. Your region is one of the densest areas with stations selling 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline, specially toward Nashville.

Use 100% pure gasoline. After switching to 100% ethanol-free gasoline, our 3 cars' mpg increased 6%, 7-8% & 8%. All engines are smoother, quieter & less downshifting is needed to ascend hills.
            I will address the "interesting" variability in your measurements. I had over 60 fuel ups now with my Festiva before I sold it, and have seen some “weird” fills, but only ranging between 41.4mpg and 52.5mpg. The fact that you got 57mpg on one fill and then 47mpg on the next…….Something is causing this beyond additives. Most likely you clicked off the fill nozzle too early thus causing there to be a false increase in mpg for that fill.

10% Ethanol only causes a decrease of 3.4% mpg, so no one should be alarmed!

Also, there are SEVERAL other things that have WAY more of an effect on your gas mileage. Such as driving nicely, tire pressure (a big one!), never going over 50mph, etc........

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
              I will address the "interesting" variability in your measurements. I had over 60 fuel ups now with my Festiva before I sold it, and have seen some “weird” fills, but only ranging between 41.4mpg and 52.5mpg. The fact that you got 57mpg on one fill and then 47mpg on the next…….Something is causing this beyond additives. Most likely you clicked off the fill nozzle too early thus causing there to be a false increase in mpg for that fill.

10% Ethanol only causes a decrease of 3.4% mpg, so no one should be alarmed!

Also, there are SEVERAL other things that have WAY more of an effect on your gas mileage. Such as driving nicely, tire pressure (a big one!), never going over 50mph, etc........
              The 57mpg high came due a longer trip, where the engine was on the go continuously & wasn't turned off 5 or 10 or 20 times & allowed the engine to cool off. I don't need to baby sit you. If you don't believe thousands of drivers, who state that the ethanol industry is lying, then don't believe us.

Comment

The 57mpg high came due a longer trip, where the engine was on the go continuously & wasn't turned off 5 or 10 or 20 times & allowed the engine to cool off. I don't need to baby sit you. If you don't believe thousands of drivers, who state that the ethanol industry is lying, then don't believe us.
                An MPG log like Fuelly, along with comments as to type of driving might help. Yes, I run 400+ miles at a time without a shut down. But, what speed are targeting, what terrain? A GPS will also give you Avg. Speed, all of this plays in to making your acheivement a target that is obtainable for the rest of us, or just another empty claim.
                I myself have reached 56+ MPG, but that was when the speed limit was 55 MPH and I suspect might not have been as acurate as my GPS tracked results are today.

Don't bring "thousands of drivers" in to this when the question was directed to you.

Oddly, I agree with you, but I find the way you try to get your message across is somewhat lacking in finesse. Which is likely a reoccurring theme, given your response in other threads!
                This is a discussion, not a pulpit.
                And you are not the "true believer" preaching to the "sinners and non-believers".
                Last edited by Pu241; 04-28-2012, 02:49 PM.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

There are 3 of them here that i know of. Normally i alternate between reg gas and ethanol free gas. I get ca. 37mpg but my brakes are dragging.
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

fix brakes for higher mpg

There are 3 of them here that i know of. Normally i alternate between reg gas and ethanol free gas. I get ca. 37mpg but my brakes are dragging.
                    My 1979 Plymouth Champ was having difficulty with its old excellent smoothness & high mpg. However, it wasn't the engine. The brakes were dragging very slightly.

Fix your brakes & you should get dramatically better mpg.

Comment

they wont disengage all the way all four of them do it,

When you jack up the car and spin the wheel you can hear it, when you take off the caliper, the sound goes away. When i get that fixed i bet ill average 42+
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

they wont disengage all the way all four of them do it,

When you jack up the car and spin the wheel you can hear it, when you take off the caliper, the sound goes away. When i get that fixed i bet ill average 42+
                        Jawohl! Do it now. Nothing like a 50+mpg car on a long journey......... & remember the 100% gasoline!
                        Last edited by litesong; 04-30-2012, 12:30 AM.

Comment

There is a 50 cent square cut oring in the caliper called a piston seal.
                          when they get old and brittle they do not flex with the piston like when new.
                          New calipers will pull the brake pads away from the rotor so that they do not drag when
                          the rubber is new. When old they seal the fluid to apply brakes but they
                          no longer flex enough to pull the pad back from the rotor for optimum
                          low rolling resistance. Machine the disks on the car, it is more accurate
                          as far as runnout is concerned and with new seals keeps any portion of
                          the rotor from contacting the pads until contact is desired!!

Drum brakes..how many of you do not get a new spring kit with your new brake
                          shoes??? How many set the brakes to a slight drag so that the petal is quick and
                          high?? How many lube the backing plate to help the weak springs pull the shoes
                          back from the drum? Most all machine the drum, good for several reasons but it
                          also removes the ridge that holds brake dust in the area where it causes brake
                          dust drag.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Jawohl! Do it now. Nothing like a 50+mpg car on a long journey......... & remember the 100% gasoline!
                            Fix the brakes, forget about the 100% gas, lol.......Stick to things that really matter, such as driving slower on the highway, and proper tire inflation, etc.

If you happen to stop and they have 100% gas, good for you. But anyone who will drive even 5 miles out of the way to get it, is wasting their time!

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
                              Fix the brakes, forget about the 100% gas, lol.......Stick to things that really matter, such as driving slower on the highway, and proper tire inflation, etc.

If you happen to stop and they have 100% gas, good for you. But anyone who will drive even 5 miles out of the way to get it, is wasting their time!
                              not so sure about that...I have had increase of 5 mpg when using 100%, to me that makes it worth and extra 5 miles. But if it is only because someone is selling gas (unless it is 100%) at a couple pennies cheaper then the other guy...then you are wasting your time and sometimes even costing yourself more in the long run.
                              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              There ain't no rest for the wicked
                              until we close our eyes for good.
                              I will sleep when I die!
                              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                              X