My Aspire SE#2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Aspire SE#2

This thread is on Danny (Aspire SE#2), which I bought back in December.
    Here is the original thread in the FS section, for review: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39298
    Post 1 no longer has the original ad. I will post up pics of it in its current state probably tmw afternoon.

Update: finally got all the exhaust back on. Had to replace the exhaust manifold w/a $11 JY one, because the O2 sensor threads in the mani were gone. Didn't buy new exhaust gaskets for both ends of the manifold, just used Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket. Good stock muffler, brand new B-pipe (connects cat to muffler). In place of a cat, I fabbed up some adaptors and flanges onto a straight pipe that looks just like a cat (see link below). Took it for a test run today. For a B3, it is VERY FAST! Butt dyno records definite power surges at about 3500 and 5500 RPM. Sounds nice even with stock muffler. Next I will install a 2" Dynomax muffler to see if there is any perceived increase in power. I suspect the Dynomax might actually take away some torque, but give better top-end flow. Eventually I would like Greg to run it at the strip with each muffler.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that I also removed the entire lower airbox, so the whole filter is exposed to incoming air. Filter is just zip-tied in place. Also, I plan on turning up the ignition timing for more power. I estimate that as it sits, it is making 75 crank HP, not the stock 63; 80+ with more-advanced timing. Rear turbo should put it in the 100+ crank HP area, I think.

Fake cat: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index...8687284a22b4eb
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Originally posted by zoom zoom
    Did you actually dyno the car? Not saying I don't believe you I just would like to know if opening the exhaust really gives THAT much HP.

What's the deal with these rear turbos? I don't understand the concept at all, unless its a SHO..? Buy maximum boost and save yourself money.
    (The above post was copied from the original FS thread for this car.)

No, it hasn't been dynoed. If I drive it down to Greg's before FM6, we will dyno it there and maybe get in a 1/4 mile too.

I believe that opening up the airbox and the exhaust does make this much more power, based on my experiences with the rear-turboed B6 SOHC in my Festy. It dynoed at 111 wheel HP with the cat in place, and would spin 5th gear; with the cat deleted it also spun 3rd and 4th. Greg and I agree that the cat-delete was worth 10 HP easy. It wasn't a new cat either, so even more gains could be expected than with a brand-new, fully functioning one. My estimate is just that, and may be wrong; but not by much.

A turbo is a turbo; exhaust gas velocity doesn't care whether it is just after the exhaust manifold or back where the muffler should be. And the return piping doesn't care if it's an intercooler in front of the radiator, or coming back to the front from the rear turbo. Unless we are building cars to make big money at drag-race competitions, any differences in where the turbo is are relatively meaningless. IMHO.
    Last edited by TominMO; 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I don't know anything about turbos, I have 0 real life experience with them, but by the time the exhaust gasses go through the cat and muffler (where's the rear turbo go anyway) I think they would have decreased in velocity enough to make it harder for.the turbo to fill the charge pipe, and you have more pipe to fill comming from the rear of the car. I don't know, it just seems wrong on so many levels, the turbo would have to be killing itself to keep the charge pipe pressurized, and you have to be running an air cooled unit? Obviously, it does build up boost, but the boost threshhold...>.< other than doing it for laughs I just can't imagine why.... Someone correct me, I can't wrap my head around this, I thought the other guy did it on his car as a joke. The exhaust gasses have had time to cool which changes the density at the tailpipe, which is power lost for the turbo...I'm just rambling.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        I don't know anything about turbos, I have 0 real life experience with them, but by the time the exhaust gasses go through the cat and muffler (where's the rear turbo go anyway) I think they would have decreased in velocity enough to make it harder for.the turbo to fill the charge pipe, and you have more pipe to fill comming from the rear of the car. I don't know, it just seems wrong on so many levels, the turbo would have to be killing itself to keep the charge pipe pressurized, and you have to be running an air cooled unit? Obviously, it does build up boost, but the boost threshhold...>.< other than doing it for laughs I just can't imagine why.... Someone correct me, I can't wrap my head around this, I thought the other guy did it on his car as a joke. The exhaust gasses have had time to cool which changes the density at the tailpipe, which is power lost for the turbo...I'm just rambling.
        The rear turbo does not go thru the muffler, it replaces the muffler. And if you use a cat-delete, all the better.

There may be some minimal power lost due to higher density (from slightly lower temp), but I think that the main factor is gas velocity. If the velocity is the same just below the exhaust manifold and at the rear, then what's the difference? It would push the turbo's vanes at the same speed.

Rear turbos are no joke. My B6 1.6 SOHC w/rear turbo actually made three more HP than Casper did (same day, ~1/2 hour later, same dyno), with its NA BP 1.8 DOHC motor. I forget if Casper had a cat-delete or a cat tho, but still. This was with the used cat in my car, not the cat-delete. A rear turbo does make the engine bay much cleaner looking/less cluttered; also there is no need to do any special fabbing to accommodate an intercooler, since the return pipe is the intercooler.

Note also that Greg's rear-turboed, megasquirted BP is the third quickest Festy on our list--despite the fact that his exhaust piping is by his own admission too restrictive, and he is running with AC and a full interior.
        Last edited by TominMO; 04-26-2012, 11:40 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

ROFLMFAO....rear turbos don't work trust me I know
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

^

I never said they don't work, actually I said "Obviously, it does build up boost.."

But I can't imagine how it would be as good or better than getting power from the manifold. Like I said, I don't have any real experience with turbos other than replacing one on a 650hp deisel engine. What turbo would you even run that would be as efficient as an oil/water cooled turbo, or do you run lines for those too? Really its not my car, so idgaf, just trying to understand why you would go through the hassle.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

1. Reason....LESS HASSLE, cooler temps, less fab, a/c, etc.... Try welding a manifold or fitting a turbo under the hood with A/C.

2. I have oil running to my turbo. No water nessecary, unless it's on a 1000+ degree manifold.

3. I don't care if you GAF, but it wouldn't be 3rd fastest festiva in the world if it didn't work as good or better than a standard setup.

Come to Festiva Madness, and I'll give you a ride in my car so you can see for yourself.

And if you get time you should research STS turbos. Many vettes and camaros in the 9 sec 1/4 mile range with .........REAR TURBO....??.......!!
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Pics

Pics are too big, sorry. I forgot that photobucket resized them when you upload. I took 'em at 640x480. Mod please resize....

But as you can see it's a piece of junk. Thinking about just taking it to the JY and handing them the title, unless someone else wants it. The last pic shows the missing lower airbox and the dealer-installed cruise control (presently disconnected). Wheels are older AR.
                Last edited by TominMO; 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  But as you can see it's a piece of junk. Thinking about just taking it to the JY and handing them the title, unless someone else wants it. The last pic shows the missing lower airbox and the dealer-installed cruise control (presently disconnected). Wheels are older AR.
                  Yep, definitely a piece of junk, it is white and doesn't have factory mudflaps or an auto transmission. At least take a sledge to that ugly wing in the back and to those worthless fog lights before you drag it off.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                    Yep, definitely a piece of junk, it is white and doesn't have factory mudflaps or an auto transmission. At least take a sledge to that ugly wing in the back and to those worthless fog lights before you drag it off.
                    I have a paintbrush and some red and yellow paint. I was thinking of painting flames on it to class it up....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I have a paintbrush and some red and yellow paint. I was thinking of painting flames on it to class it up....

...with a paint brush!.... drool Do it!
                      Last edited by drddan; 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Wow, thats a nice one !!
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

That would help hide that white paint for sure. A few stickers randomly placed all over the car would help too.
                          The Festiva Store
                          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Very nice.

Though, something's wrong with it. Someone rounded all the corners off.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Is that cruise control? I don't see it listed on the sales paper.. very clean looking car, one of the nicest I've seen.

@ eurotiva, I am going to try to make it to madness this year.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X