Tie rod end differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie rod end differences

While jerking around trying to figure out some things for the VW setup, I tried the Aspire tie rod end in the VW hub, doesn't work. I tried the VW hub on the Aspire axle, axle stub is the right size, wrong number of splines.

The Aspire tie rod end is too large, but the taper is approximately correct. I remember that Festiva tie rod ends are different, but I don't remember how. Anyone?

If they're smaller, they may fit the VW hubs, making me not have to modify anything or look quite so hard for something that fits.

The VW tie rod ends don't thread onto the Festiva rack... they're slightly too large, just enough that I wouldn't be able to modify them short of drilling them and installing a plug with the proper threads. (Which is an option, but not ideal.)

All I know is that the Festiva ends have a different taper than the Aspire ones.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

LOL. I was fighting to get one of the old ones out of the hub, then while looking for an Aspire knuckle in the barn, I noticed I had 2 brand new ones in a bag... I guess I should take a parts inventory sometime.

Comment

Can anyone get the two side by side and take a pic?

Comment

Another option that negates the need for tie rods altogether is heim joints. You drill the bore in the hub where the tie rod fits to make it a smooth bore, thread heim joints onto the tie rod, and bolt through the heim joint and hub.

I may end up doing this, because heim joints are the same price approximately as tie rod ends, and don't require remembering which part I used.

Comment

just make sure you get the weather boots for the heims.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
              just make sure you get the weather boots for the heims.
              Examples?

Comment

Working...
              X