mpg's with a weber carb on 1.3 4speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mpg's with a weber carb on 1.3 4speed

hey have a 1989 festiva 1.3 b3 carb with 4speed tranny and have been trying for a few months to get all the vacuum lines hooked correctly.Now thinking it would be easier to run the weber carb and get rid of all emission components.Anyways wanting to find out if anyone is running this and if so what is you mpg's like?And have you had any problems since getting rid of feedback carb and going with the webber?thanks in advance

I'm in the middle of doing the swap, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

I used to have a Weber. Worked fine on my 89 four speed. Sold the Weber and scrapped the rusty Festiva after stripping it down to bare metal and two space savers. Now I have twins on my 93 five speed.
      Drddan has a great article about his Weber conversion.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

are you close to being finished?and are you getting rid of all the emission sensers?what about the cat are you going to plug off the tube or what? and the egr you going to leave it there just block it off or take it off and make a small plate to block it off?

Comment

yeah i saw Drddan's article but i've only talked to one guy on here who is running this setup but he said he only had it on the b3 for a short time,then he switched it over to a b6.Just weighing my options have new feedback carb but don't know how all the vacuum lines hook and they say the weber swap allows you to get rid of all the vacuum lines,so now trying to find some first hand feedback like mpg's,reliablity,idle stuff like that

Comment

Depends on your local emission laws. I needed my EGR port as a vacuum source for my mechanical idle up. You probably don't need it unless you have A/C. You could remove the EGR valve and have the two little holes aluminum welded up. You could put the EGR valve back on for show or just leave it off.

I installed headers so I didn't need the spacer I made for the pulse air tube at the base of the exhaust manifold.

Drddan made a loop to connect that tube to the one going to the cat.

The only vacuum line you need is for vacuum advance for the distributor.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I'm going thru this same thing with my feedback carb right now.

I might be interested in buying your new feedback carb if can't get mine running.

I have the FSM and I can take pics if you want to know how to hook up the vacuum lines. That part is not really as hard as it looks.

My experience with single Weber downdrafts (VW Rabbit, Toyota Celica, Suzuki Samurai) makes me reluctant to do the conversion. You gain a little power, a little throttle response, and lose about 5 mpg. My impressions aren't very scientific, though. Idle, and reliability are excellent with the Weber. The mechanical pump on the Festiva has a return fuel line, which makes it ideal for a weber.

Regarding the reed valve tubes, you can just cap those with rubber caps. I did this on my stock carb without losing any driveability. I didn't check the gas mileage after I block those.

I'm going to start a new thread about diagnosing my carb problem. Maybe, tonight because I'm working on it now.
              Last edited by BigElCat; 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM.
              '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

^You say the 88-89 FSM has CLEAR images of the vac tube routing? I might have to score one on ebay.

Comment

i would greatly appreciate if you would send me pics of all the vacuum lines how the route thanks been looking for months and have bought two manuels one is the hynes and the other is electrical and vacuum lines trouble shooting and neither show how the vacuum lines run thanks

Comment

Originally posted by blueoval View Post
                    i would greatly appreciate if you would send me pics of all the vacuum lines how the route thanks been looking for months and have bought two manuels one is the hynes and the other is electrical and vacuum lines trouble shooting and neither show how the vacuum lines run thanks
                    You should maybe score a FSM but not until someone shows a sample pic.

Comment

I'd have to agree with losing 5 MPG. I had my B3 set up with a Weber and an FMS performance cam and only got 30. My B6 with the same Weber and intake, but with a stock cam gets 34.5 in the city. I need to go on a road trip and see what it does on the highway. The best I ever got with my B3 with the feedback carb and the original cam was 39, and it did worse in the winter. Personally, I think a B3 with the original carb is extremely boring to drive, and downright dangerous trying to accelerate on a short freeway ramp. It will take you a while to work out the bugs on a Weber. Jet sizes, etc. Have you ever checked the vacuum advance on your distributor? Stick a clean hose on one of it's ports and suck on it. You can gently caress it too, but thats up to you. If it leaks air it is bad and your car won't run right till you replace it.

Comment

hey zoe60 glad you chimmed in thought i had it right set idle and time,it sounded great then took the jumper wire off and started to back it out of driveway and it went from 720-750 idle down to maybe 400 then died and it jerks real bad when i tried to drive it.

Comment

weber conversion

great advice you re getting,by the way it has to be done right,listen to these guys. ive put webers on a lot of cars,but not on a festy. most emission lines,these guys can give u a lot better advice,than i. ill put a weber on any thing,i love em.

Comment

What jumper wire? Battery jumper cables? Wonder if that may be part of the problem. Have you ever checked it with a vacuum gauge? From our discussion on the phone I think you are real close to having the vacuum lines correct or close enough. If the vacuum level is good there could possibly be another problem causing the idle to slow down.

Comment

the jumper wire to set the idle,were you put a wire in the one pin plug and ground to the body. movinn says that my distribitor diaphram may be bad

Comment

Working...
                              X