Who knows VW's (Mk1 specifically)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows VW's (Mk1 specifically)

Caught my eye earlier. Would love to have something that can routinely get 50-60 mpg. Looks like the guy was going for an AutoX setup. Why pick a diesel for that, I dunno? Looks clean in the two pics though. And as its already lowered, even better for the mpg's.

Problem is its a whole new thing for me. Ive never messed with a VW or a Diesel. Im also wondering if its really turbo, as I dont think those came turbo in 82. It could be swapped I guess.

Opinions?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

I have an '81 diesel, but no turbo!

What do you want to know?

was running WVO and getting 47-48 mpg pretty consistently.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

They didn't come with the turbo diesel til the mk2 but it could be swapped or there were several aftermarket turbo systems for that engine. Look for rust, mk1 cars were not galvanized well and they are known to rot away pretty badly. They are easy to work on and a great way to learn about diesel engines.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The 82' VW Rabbit diesel came with a SOHC 1.6l N/A motor. People have put the turbo motor or just the turbo out of the later 80's Jetta's in them. Can't really tell from the pictures but it might be. I'd ask for more pics of the motor before I'd drive down there.

Seems like its someones project they gave up on after dumping a whole lot of money into. Thats a double edged sword, on one hand you get a car, parts and labor at a fraction of what it orginially cost. The other side of that is your getting someone elses project. They worked on it, had others work on it, and you don't know the quality of their work. You could be getting a basket case.

I personally think a grand is a deal on that car, provided it has the turbo motor. Not sure if 50-60mpg is accurate though... maybe in the 40's from what I know/heard. Body looks ok though.

I'd get it, paint it, throw some cool wheels on it and rock it as a DD. Its no race car, unless you drop a VR6 into it...
        1963 Ford F-100
        1992 Ford Festiva
        2006 Audi A4
        2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          I have an '81 diesel, but no turbo!

What do you want to know?

was running WVO and getting 47-48 mpg pretty consistently.
          Yet another rareish small car that you own! Why am I not surprised! Lol
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Basically I was wondering if its something someone thats never worked on a VW or a Diesel would want to touch. Looks like Charlie kinda answered that for me.

Rust would be my biggest concern. The body looks good in the pics but who knows about the underside. Next thing would be if the wiring was hacked. Not that an old diesel needs much for that.

Im guessing he wouldnt make a project out of something rotted. But what if thats the reason hes selling? Found a bunch of rot halfway into it. This IS Michigan were talking about.

I've read the non-turbo IDI's are capable of handling boost all day, so that would be cool.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Bulletproof little motors. And there isn't much to those bodys, kind of like the festys. If theres rust you'll be able to spot it.

I can tell you from working on several, take whatever you know about cars, flip it upside down, backwards and then you're working on a VW. German cars are fantastic machines, and once you get a sense of order of how they're put together, it all makes sense. Its just a learning curve involved. The good thing is that your not getting into a mid-90's Passat wagon or anything. These are pretty simple machines. Don't be scared.
              1963 Ford F-100
              1992 Ford Festiva
              2006 Audi A4
              2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Only problem right now is he wants a grand firm and I'm flat broke right now. Was gonna see if he might be interested in my impreza as a trade or something.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Yet another rareish small car that you own! Why am I not surprised! Lol
                  I would say I'm sick and need help.
                  And I'm sure other are ready to agree with that!
                  But actually, I just need a bigger garage!
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

$1000 is a suspiciously low price for this car. With coil overs even!

You can see body damage beginning on the pass. side front fender down low. If the body isn't too damaged, or too rusted underneath, this would be a great car.

There's a stock MK2 diesel 4 door they keep trying to sell here in Paola. They want $3200 firm. Pass on that price.

Folks run a turbo VW motor in off-road Samurias quite often. Lots of torque and low end response. They're said to run 'forever'.

In case you haven't seen my '78 MK1 (it's not a deisel)those aren't fender flares, like the ad says, the sheet metal is radiused (IIRC)
                    Last edited by BigElCat; 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM.
                    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Yeah, I bought mine the last time gas was over $4/gallon and paid considerably more than $1k.
                      Check the strut towers, a known weak spot as they have been known to rust through.
                      Does it actually run?
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                      X