No announcement yet.

STOCK Festiva top speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup, I've had mine up to 85. stopped there because A) no point in going on without knowing the speed for bragging rights. B) it's a notorious cop spped trap along that 2 mile stretch of a 5 mile straight w/ a limit at 50mph. but it was 5:30AM. This was all in Mexico
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Mine could cruise at 90 (GPS verified) with two people and stuff in it, back when it had a B3. With a headwind.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        Whether you run a 4 speed or a 5 the top end is going to be the same. The overdrive gearing is same ratio on both. That said an automatic is a whole different kettle of fish with only 3 gears, and none of them being an overdrive.
        Fuel economy is optimum at around 50-55 and if 70-75 mph is what turns your crank the cars will do it easy enough but expect to take a hit at the pump. Our little boxes are not particularly aerodynamic.
        It's not the same! 4th in a 4-speed is the same as 4th in a 5-speed.

Comment

a friend of mine clocked me in my old festy (using the gps on his phone) at 104mph...Don't know exactally how accurate it was, but it was probably close...I think the fastest record was something like 114mph, there was another thread about it on here somewhere
          Last edited by Ogrestiva; 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM.
          89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Whether you run a 4 speed or a 5 the top end is going to be the same. The overdrive gearing is same ratio on both.
            UMMMMM..no
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

My 4-speed carby with 175/65/14 tires hits 4000RPM when the speedometer reads 70MPH. It's really going about 73MPH. It will cruise just fine at 73. It will even cruise with the speedometer buried at 85, but I don't like to redline the old thing.

The speedometer was dead acurate with the stock 12" tires on it.

I'm going to a 5-speed as soon as I can...ASAIC ...to lower the highway RPMs.
              '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Karl is correct about the carbys not having a rev limiter.

That being said: if the engine is taken care of (normal REGULAR maintenance), the carby engine will survive steady 7000 rpm, and can be taken past 8000 (or in case of Scrappy, over 10k once due to an inadvertant missuse of the Go pedal). the B6 in Scrappy has seen repeated use past 7500 with no ill-effect.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^^^The B3 or B6 survived a 10K burst?
                  '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

B6 :evil2: (its got head work but the bottom is bone stock)
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      B6 :evil2: (its got head work but the bottom is bone stock)
                      What kinda springs and retainers kept the valves in?

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Whether you run a 4 speed or a 5 the top end is going to be the same. The overdrive gearing is same ratio on both.
                        As two others have pointed out, no. the 5 speed is the same as the 4 speed on 1-4.
                        top speed on a healthy stock 4 speed is about 104. Top speed on a healthy 5 speed is 113. Radar certified by two different stock 5 speed festivas.

I ran my stock 4 speed at 90 mph for hours at a time no problem.

And GPS topped my auto festy at 99.
                        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Historical Point

It's true both 4 & 5 speed cars will run 100mph without ill effects.
                          ( Except to your wallet !!!:eeeeeek: )
                          Why the 85mph speedo?
                          At the time, a Federally mandated tax was imposed on cars sold
                          in the US that had speedometers marked higher than 85mph.
                          No car too fast !

Comment

my max speed was 175 with b3 but its really dagures:nono:
                            Last edited by navid_2nh; 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

113 for a B3 seems a little optimistic. What will a BP e-series do?
                              BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

Working...
                              X