Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought my first Festiva on Monday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought my first Festiva on Monday...

Hey guys,

I just bought my first Festiva on Monday. I've been searching Craigslist for months in order to find one that I could pick up. I finally found it, and brought it home.

I wasn't able to test drive it due to the fact that it needed a driver side axle, tie rod, ball joint, and control arm. I replaced all three of those with my dad throughout the course of the week and finally finished it on Thursday night. Once we were finished, I took it out for a test drive and went to hit the brakes only to notice that there were no brakes whatsoever due to a suspected brake line leak. We also noticed that there is a slight gas leak due to a gas line. I'm hoping we will have it done today, but you never know.

Now that I'm done with my little spiel, I was just wondering how many MPG's I could expect out of it. It has the 5spd transmission, with 134k miles.
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 05-20-2012, 10:59 AM.

Upwards of 40 MPG and possibly 50+ if driven with care.

Welcome and post some pics and your location
    Ohiostiva is next weekend.

I'd have also given some thought to replacing the other control arm at the same time and never forget the anti-seize.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Oh yes, I'll probably end up doing the other side too. I'll make a video right now actually, I have nothing else to do at the moment until my dad gets back. I'll post it right on Youtube and put it on here so people can see it.

It's funny you mention anti-seize. When we were trying to get the control arm off, the bolt that sticks out from the frame was seized inside. So, naturally we took the torch and heated up the other side (which is hidden in the subframe) and it ended up breaking off the housing that was encasing the bolt. We ended out grinding out the hole a little bit for easier access with an angle grinder and then used the trusty sawzall to get the bolt out.
      Last edited by Flw Sock; 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Make sure you paint up the bare metal so it doesn't rust out on you! Sounds like you've caught the disease... festivitus!
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Flw Sock View Post
          I was just wondering how many MPG's I could expect out of it. It has the 5spd transmission, with 134k miles.
          Congratulations that you have a Festiva that you are resurrecting from the dead! Don't know where you live, but get hold of some 100% ethanol-free gasoline. After our 3 cars switched to it, our cars' mpg went up 8%, 7-8%, & 5%. My own 4speed Festiva, which has accurate 10% ethanol blend records indicating a 42.1mpg average, has jumped to 45.5mpg. Doing some normal around my region driving & then a trip over a 4000 foot mountain pass from sea level, Festiva just got 49.7mpg, as it crossed the 100,000 mile mark.

Comment

Wow, this mileage is going to be great.

My first vehicle was a 1983 ford ranger which got 12.5mpg normally..... yea I'm 17, pay my own insurance, phone, gas, everything, while working at a pizza place lol.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not that great of a video, but it's the best I could do with my phone.

Comment

We have a number of members who deliver pizza!
              I suspect the Festiva makes a huge difference in their bottom line at the end of the night!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Oh god how I would love to be a driver with this car. Unfortunately I got the shaft and I'm the one cooking the pizzas.

Comment

Yes, Wisconsin has way over 500 stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline(specially in the triangle surrounding Green Bay, Milwaukee & Minneapolis-St. Paul), which has 10+% of all stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. & Canada!

Depending on where you live, go to pure-gas.org to find the minority of 5200+ stations(10+ in every 350) selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. & Canada. Unless you're buried in some place away from those 500+ stations, you should have no excuse not to run "100% gasoline in your gasoline designed engine".

Comment

yea I'm 17, pay my own insurance, phone, gas, everything, while working at a pizza place lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDTeZmtxeFQ&feature=plcp
                    Saw your video, saying it was a 1993 Festiva. As the years changed, the Festiva got a bit heavier & the mpg tended to dip. However, you do have the 5speed over my 4speed. If you're a featherfooter & don't have lots of stop & go traffic around you, you may be able to get mpg near the lighter 1988 Festiva 4speeds.

Comment

Unfortuneately I'm 17 and anybody could clearly tell by the way I drive. Usually a lead foot, and it seems as though the Festiva has plenty of pep to it. Also, 99% of my driving is in the city, ouch. Seeing as that my driving conditions are not all that favorable, how many mpg's do you think I could squeeze out using regular gas with the ethanol?

I would think that If pu241 gets 45 I could at least get somewhere in the ballpark of 35.
                      Last edited by Flw Sock; 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Better than any other car for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                          Better than any other car for the price.
                          No doubt, I bought it for $400, and as of right now I only have about $170 in repairs.

Does this forum have a section for something like coolest interior? I know there is a Festiva of the month....

Comment

Unfortuneately I'm 17 and anybody could clearly tell by the way I drive. Usually a lead foot, and it seems as though the Festiva has plenty of pep to it.
                            Festiva only has 65 HP, so you aren't going to be too hot. I was a part-time leadfooter, till one day, on the freeway & asked, "Which of these drivers going 120feet per second are on drugs, drunk, are emotionally distracted or just poor drivers?" That day, I pulled over to the right hand lane & started driving properly. I figured that I have to be ready to cut someone else some slack & be able to drive defensively. That included slowing down.

Now I find it much more fun chasing mpg.

Comment

Usually a lead foot, and it seems as though the Festiva has plenty of pep to it. Also, 99% of my driving is in the city, ouch...... I could at least get somewhere in the ballpark of 35.
                              Yeah, I think that is possible. But I would hopefully inspire you that striving for 50+mpg even going into high mountains, would give you the ability to live, & know, & intimately explore a large region of Earth around you without pouring lots of money into such an endeavor. & you are given the ability to explore well beyond your region, too.
                              Such an ability is far superior than being a leadfoot or stuck in your immediate area, or never having interest in the world beyond your own city. You are very close to being there. You & your Dad repair cars. Work to get the best mpg you can & start exploring.

Comment

Working...
                              X