Carbed Festys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbed Festys

What kind of mpg are you getting with your stock 4spd carbed Festivas?
    iF you have swapped in a 5spd what are you getting with that setup?
    Thanks
    Last edited by denguy; 05-22-2012, 04:37 AM.

Consistent 40-plus. As high as 46. Mostly rural. Slightly under 40 in winter. Carbies rule!

Comment

Swapped five speed , gets 46-48 . With water vapor I'm seeing as high as 54 .
      Highway and country road mixed .
      New build on the way .

Comment

5 speed swap in mine has been netting about 40, I've seen higher, and also lower depending on my driving habits and where I'm driving. I drive it "normally", I don't hot rod and I don't hypermile. Up here in the mountains I have averaged about 40 with all my 5 speeds, EFI or carb'd. On our beach trip I pulled a 47 on one tank, that was all straight flat highway at about 60MPH though.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

wow, I feel deprived - I'm doing 36.5 in town don't know on the highway since the tune up. (was 40.6 before) its a 4 speed.

I may do a lot better if I didn't leave it running while I'm at the customers house when delivering. probably just a quirk of mine but I always figured it was better to burn a little gas than to start it 15 more times a night and "burn" the starter/fly wheel. I figure it idles about 3-4 minutes tops at each stop. I don't leave it running at the store.

I think I'll filler up one day and let it idle for 1 hour and top it back off to see what it does burn gas wise.
          Last edited by loknlode; 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM.
          admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Must be nice, so far the best we've got out of my wife's carbed 4 speed is 33.6 MPG. It's been trending up lately, though and I think we've still got a few bugs to work out.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
            91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
            92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
            95 Grand Prix SE DD
            Wife's Stuff:
            89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
            97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
            Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I delivered pizzas of and on for years. Have yet to lose a starter in an older car or a newer car, just sayin. I know when fuel injection starting a warm car is immediate but it is with carbs as well.
              Last edited by getnpsi; 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by loknlode View Post
                wow, I feel deprived - I'm doing 36.5 in town don't know on the highway since the tune up. (was 40.6 before) its a 4 speed.
                S. Carolina has about 260 stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline, altho they are spread thinly in upper S. Carolina. Go to pure-gas.org for addresses, details & a great zoomable map showing the minority of stations(10 in every 350) selling 100% pure gasoline in your area. Get the ethanol out of your tank. Get 100% pure gasoline in your car. With accurate 'before & after' records with the switch to 100% pure gasoline(not 10% ethanol blend), our 3 cars' mpg increased 8%, 7-8%, & 5% & engines are smoother, quieter & need less downshifting while ascending hills.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                  Swapped five speed , gets 46-48 . With water vapor I'm seeing as high as 54 .
                  Highway and country road mixed .
                  You've got few stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline in W.Virginia. However, in Gore, VA, the closest to you, there is a station selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline. Get some there if you travel in that direction. Your mpg will go up & your car will thank you. Cars are starving on 10% ethanol blends.

Comment

25 mpg was what I was getting in my 4 speed. I suspect it had a blown head gasket though. I'll be happy to get that with the BPT and AWD though lol
                    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                      What kind of mpg are you getting with your stock 4spd carbed Festivas?
                      Thanks
                      With accurate records, my carbed Festiva increased its mpg from 42.1mpg to 45.5mpg with a switch to 100% ethanol-free gasoline from 10% ethanol blends. The Florida Keys has 100% ethanol-free gasoline, but only in 90 octane, I assume to cater to heavy rigs carrying campers or trailers. Find some 87 octane 100% ethanol-free gasoline, if you can & you will see a difference in mpg, smoothness, quietness & a bit extra power, needing less downshifting for hills. In the Florida Keys, no hills but you got to have some rising entry ramps.

Comment

Im averageing x25 to 30 in town
                        89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

Originally posted by newcomb View Post
                          Im averageing x25 to 30 in town
                          You've seen my posts. Go to pure-gas.org to find addresses, details & a great zoomable map to the 4 stations in Fayetteville selling 100% pure gasoline(not 10% ethanol blends). If you have accurate records, you'll see your mpg go up & you'll have a bit more power, needing less downshifting to ascend hills.

Comment

Working...
                          X