New guy here, Need HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here, Need HELP

Hello, my name is Nick and I was looking around online and found this site and figured maybe someone here could help me out. I am working on a research project at school and the motor I am using the original 1.3L motor out of my professors 1988 Ford Festiva. I am looking for 1 stock piston from a Ford Festiva because I need to carefully measure the surface area of the piston.

If anyone has 1 old used piston from a 1.3L Ford Festiva motor that I could get/borrow from you please let me know. I'm really in a bind trying to find one without using one from the motor I have or having to buy a brand new piston. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Well, I can tell you the bore is 71mm. This would translate to a surface area of 3957 square mm.

I have a whole b3 for free if you're in WA and want it. I'd rather not part it out though.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
      Well, I can tell you the bore is 71mm. This would translate to a surface area of 3957 square mm.

I have a whole b3 for free if you're in WA and want it. I'd rather not part it out though.

Yeah, I know that the bore is 71mm and IF the piston is a PERFECT flat top piston then the surface area would be roughly 3959 mm^2 but in order to be certain that the results are correct he told me to get a piston and carefully measure the surface area.

I wish I was closer to you b/c i'd come by and get it but I TOTALLY understand not wanting to part the motor out (especially for just 1 piston). I appreciate the help though.

If anyone has a set of 4 that they are hanging on to for later, if you could let me borrow one I would send it back to you in the same shape (possibly better if I had to clean off deposits to ensure accurate measurements) right after I take the measurements. I'll pay for shipping both ways of course.

Comment

Just order one from Advance auto parts they are $30

Take your measurements then return it. Just say one in your engine is damaged then when you return it say it wasn't worth it to repair it.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
          Just order one from Advance auto parts they are $30

Take your measurements then return it. Just say one in your engine is damaged then when you return it say it wasn't worth it to repair it.

Hmmm, I didn't think about doing that. As long as it's the same piston as stock that might work. I wonder what their return policy is for parts they have to special order if they don't have it in stock at the store??? I'd hate to have to spend the money and not be able to return it ($30+tax might not seem like much but it is for a broke college student in my situation ).

If no one has a used one I can get free/cheap or borrow then I might have to try this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Go to the junkyard one weekend and pull a piston out!

They'd let you have it for less than 10 bucks, I'm sure.
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim

I'd pay the $30 for a new one before I went to all that trouble. You'd have to pull the head and oil pan.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Tim

I am going to be going to one to pull the cylinder head off since I need one of those also but i'd doubt it would be very easy to pull one out of a motor there. If no one here has one I can get before I go I might have to give it a shot or buy the new one.

Comment

Well, if you're pulling the cylinder head off you might as well take a piston while you're at it.

Undo the oil pan and then remove 2 bolts to get a rod and piston off.

Regards,

Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
                    Well, if you're pulling the cylinder head off you might as well take a piston while you're at it.

Undo the oil pan and then remove 2 bolts to get a rod and piston off.

Regards,

Tim

I've never tried to pull a piston in a junkyard but I have the feeling that the piston's might not move very easy to get one out. Maybe if I bring some penetrating oil and pick the piston that is at the top of the stroke it would work.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

They can be a little stubborn to remove. I used a mallet to tap the rod and piston loose, but then again the engine was on a stand so I had greater access to it.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
                        They can be a little stubborn to remove. I used a mallet to tap the rod and piston loose, but then again the engine was on a stand so I had greater access to it.

Regards,

Tim

Yeah, I know it wouldn't be a big deal if I had the engine on a stand. I guess unless someone happens to have one lying around that they don't need, i'll have to give that a try.

Comment

Working...
                        X