FMS Cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS Cams?

Are they still availible? Usually see them on FMS's ebay store, looked and didn't see any.. Just wondering. I'd like to get one for my Festy sometime.
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

they went cheap several months ago, i don't believe there's any stock left.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Damn.. thats a bummer.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.

Comment

i plan on shipping one out to Comp or Crane for duplicates designed for roller rockers with a little more ramp speed and longer peak durration.... gotta see what that's gonna cost first though (could be pricey). if so, i may just as well have a custom cam designed that would require a larger center bore to allow larger lift (install from the cam gear side only).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

^^Keep us informed!
          Mike Holmgren
          Thief Rvr Fls, MN
          1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
          "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Now that would be sweet, definitely keep us posted on what happens there

Comment

I've spoken with the engineers at both Crane and Comp Cams. Neither of them have any master lobes or will do a regrind for these. Comp recommended Webb Cams.

I agree with ramp speeds and duration, but without knowing head flow, its hard to say what more lift would gain. Valve springs and rocker geometry may be a factor as well.
              Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-29-2012, 12:40 AM.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Webb Cam does not have anything for Ford. Mazda is limited to Miata DOHC. Camtech Cams in Australia only has a casting for the 1.8 DOHC Mazda.
                You have to find out who has the pattern for the FMS camshaft. You can grind different profiles from it. Alternative would be to glue styrofoam lobes together and make your own camshaft via lost foam. Can't do PM (powder metallurgy) economically.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 05-29-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I believe Matt Dickmeyer had some custom grinds made at one time. He may have some left to sell......

Not sure if he's still a member, but IIRC, he did post something a few weeks ago.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

yeah, i was figuring new blank billet rods w/ custom grind. no regrind for sure (would loose geometry to the rockers and would require milling of the rocker support towers).

Comment

Too rich for my bank account! Although, I would dearly love to get ahold of a FMS "race" cam or similar grind. I still think a custom grind made for Aspire rollers would be sweeeeeeeeet.
                      Brian

Comment

not really... if i can get a local machineshop to mill the rod to a "blank" state and then send them to a manufacture, i might be able to save some $ (maybe)

Comment

That's a good idea. LOL, right now, unless it's FREE, its more than I can afford. Progress on my B6 build/swap has ground to a halt due to lack of funds. I'm seriously considering using a stock head gasket at this point, since I can't spare the cash for a MLS Cometic. Even though I probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference from a performance standpoint, I really hate cutting corners on things like this.
                          Brian

Comment

^ stock B6? no boost? ---> use the stock head gasket. boost under 20psi? ---> use the stock headgasket.

Comment

Its not for fear of blowing the gasket, but for compression. Remember, I ground some material out of the chambers which increased them to 37cc. With .020" shaved head, I have 9:1 CR with stock gasket. With the .040" MLS gasket, I'll be around 9.5:1. Not a huge deal, but well worth the 90 bucks (if you have it).
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X