No announcement yet.

Festiva road trip plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lotta driving ahead aye lol. Should try a long long trip down to NC for Festiva Madness 6 down in Raleigh. Lot of driving but there will be a bunch of festivas I'm sure of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueFFestivagtx View Post
      Should try a long long trip down to NC for Festiva Madness 6 down in Raleigh.
      Been there, done that, even have the t-shirt 6000+ miles in 14 days! Check out www.econoboxcafe.com for our blog. There's a link to the first entry for that trip in the introduction.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Looks like you will be driving right into the rain storms that are going north...
        at least it isn't the pounding we usually get that makes our rivers flood.
        Welcome to western Oregon!!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Ran into quite a bit of rain today but it didn't really hinder us. Started off with a visit to the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria OR. From there we went to Silverton to pay a visit to the only house in Oregon designed by Frank Lloyd Wright... very interesting. On the way to our next overnight we stopped at Silver Falls State Park and took a short wet walk up to the first of ten waterfalls... awesome!

Back over to the coast tomorrow for some sand dunes and lighthouses.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Fresh oysters out to be in...The coffee roaster on the docks in winni bay is a sensual
            overload if you like coffee...Hauser has good dunes and rentals, so does Florence.

I like Salmon harbor/Winchester Bay the best for central coast...Have fun!!

Comment

fastivaca wrote:
              A great day in Vancouver. Visited Granville Island, Coal Harbour and Stanley Park.

Mount St Helens today. What an awesome drive up there off I-5 Lots of twists and turns and climbs up to 4200 ft.

The volcano was not a disappointment.
              /////////////////////
              litesong wrote:
              Yeah, we didn't drive much in Vancouver either. Wonderful visit. Loved Stanley Park. We tried going up to some of the nearby mountains, directly off the shoreline that Vancouver is on. Tho the weather was wonderful, down in Vancouver, just two miles(?) into the steep mountain terrain, we encountered snow, clouds & some rain.

Yeah, Mt. St. Helens is wonderful, viewing the incredible changes that the volcano blast caused. Before the blast, Mt. St. Helens was considered one of the most symmetrical & lovely of all volcanos. Almost as incredible has been the changes that climate & returning life force has visited on the mountain & surroundings. One hundred miles from the eruption, I picked up two different layers from the volcano. Besides the first main blast, a second blast one week later, also dumped lots of pumice thousands of miles from St. Helens.

I almost died in the blast. I had planned to visit the area because reports said it was percolating pretty good & I did want some good photographs. I had my Plymouth Champ half packed to go down. However, a continuing year long decrease in interest in photography, plus a thought that there would be large numbers of photographers at the mountain, caused me to think for 1 hour. After the hour past, I unloaded the car & did not go down.

Right in the direction where I was going to be, is where the mountain's north wall collapsed & like a gun, 1200 degree volcanic gases & material shot sideways instead of upward, at hundreds of miles an hour. Yeah, I would have died, except for my last hour that caused me to stay home.

The Columbia River Maritime Museum at Astoria is extraordinary. I loved the Light Ship.
              Last edited by litesong; 06-05-2012, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Sitting at our hotel just outside Medford OR. Had a great day visiting Florence and a small bit of the dunes in the area. Stopped by the Umpqua Lighthouse and ate our lunch.

Saw two Festivas in Florence, a red one with a spoiler (assuming it's a GL Sport) and a teal one. Didn't have time to stop and say hi or drop off one of my Festiva cards.

Blog is updated too. Appreciate your comments!
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Its sunny on our side of the mountain, the mountain
                  has snow, and the weather should be breaking up on
                  your side of the range,
                  enjoy sunny southern Oregon!

Comment

No rain today, in fact we ran the A/C for the first time. Visited Muir Woods, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and spent some time down on Pier 39. Headed east over the Oakland Bay Bridge ending our day in Tracy CA.

It's off to Yosemite tomorrow.

Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

i want to coooooooooooooooooooooooooooome:cry_smile:

Comment

Very cool thread! Can't wait for pics.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Sitting in Bishop CA and just finished updating the blog with lots of pictures! What an awesome day it was today. Drove from Tracy CA up into Yosemite on some really twisty roads. With the Aspire swap including the front sway bar and Tein coil-overs on the rear the car has been handling great, even with all of us and our stuff in!

The road out of Yosemite was even more awesome!!! It took us up and over Tioga Pass which is at 9941 feet. Dropped almost 6000 feet into Bishop CA.

Tomorrow takes us south and east through Vegas, by the Hoover Dam and to Flagstaff. We should arrive at our destination around 7:30 or 8:00.

In case you hadn't figured it out there's a link to the blog in my signature.... enjoy!
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Nice pics Ian! I've been to SanFran a couple times recently but I haven't "toured" the west coast since I was 14 and with my parents back around 1974.

Too bad you didn't see the Japanese dock that made the trip across the Pacific. (I checked your itinerary.)

Karl
                            Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM.
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I'm heading up to Flagstaff now, looking forward to a little mini meet! lol
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

After a long hot (98 degrees in Vegas) drive from Bishop CA to Flagstaff AZ we met up with Charlie and his friend Kelsey last night. Had a great meal together and they showed us around Flagstaff a little bit.

This morning Charlie met us and led the way up to the Grand Canyon. He showed us a number of lookouts along highway 64.

We had lunch at Desert View. After lunch we toures the watch tower, said our goodbyes and then continued east along 64.

Charlie left ahead of us and we thought he was long gone. As we came around a corner there he was waving us down at one of the roadside vendors. The owner, Elmer, was driving a blue Festiva! I didn't take any pictures with my phone but will post a couple up when I get to a computer.

Charlie dubbed our little mini-meet "Southwestiva"

A huge thankyou to Charlie and Kelsey for taking time to show us around. It made our visit to Flagstaff and the Canyon that much more enjoyable. It's an area we definitely want to spend more time in.

Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X