a smart fortwo for $49,500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a smart fortwo for $49,500?

doesn't sound so smart does it. though i like those little funny looking cars, and there are not many imported. yikes!

53 city 60 highway. give me a festiva and the cash please. see ebay link below.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Turbocharged 698cc engine rated at 60 hp. Curb weight of 2183 pounds.

Claimed 0-85mph time of 8 seconds!? I'm wondering if they are confusing that with kph? The only advantage it seems to have is a 6 speed gearbox and what looks like a lower frontal area (and maybe CD) than a Festiva.

De Dion rear axle! Weird. You don't see them too often.

Even for maybe $30K or so, I wouldn't be interested.

I kinda like the paint job, though. Needs more color in them "scratches."

Compared with an under $5000 Festiva, Aspire, or even a nice Metro, I'd call it the...

"DUMB." :twisted:

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

yeah, but what do you expect for 49.5? perfection? id say the guy had some camera problems. not the best paint job for 49.5. i doubt they will get near that much, but who said pple on ebay are sane anyway. if they begin importing them as other cars, even in a limited number. prices will get more like up north i bet. they sell em in canada and prices are like high teens and low 20's. they do have a waiting list though. festiva/geo line 3...no waiting

i saw on the smart website they claim 0-60 in 12 seconds for the tuned model. curb weight is 1609 pounds. the 990 kg weight is the max. load it can carry i think it said. now here is a real tweaked smart:

Peter Bee, a Smart car enthusiast wanted somemore power out of his little Smart ForTwo. The original Mitsubishi engine in the Smart ForTwo made about 60hp, and through some tweaking he managed to get this …

funny a cnn article described them as looking like a giant insects head...haha. that is a pretty accurate description, dont ya think.

but if they cost the same as a toyota yaris, id prefer to buy one of the smart insect head cars. ive always liked the little bug car since they first came out about 8 years ago. bet leno has one i can borrow.

Comment

I just checked out the price on the north side of the border..... fully loaded for around $26,000 (plus taxes etc.) still well under the US price.

Smart cars have been available here for about a year. I got to drive a friend's Fun to drive around town..... has plenty of room inside for its two passengers.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I see those all the time... they are stupid looking and a waste of money... especially when a TDI VW Golf/Jetta will do almost 50mpg and is an actual car.
          * Retired Festiva-er*
          1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
          B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

i don't think the idea of the car is stupid though as its intention was a commuter car for Europe where streets are narrow, parking a problem and gas is 5 bucks a gallon. but i agree not as practical as use over there.

yeah i bet they are fun to drive. just looking at them you would expect better mileage than that, as they are so small. but they aren't made like a tin can either so i guess that's why. they are going to be mostly just a fad item over here I'll bet.

i like the cars myself, but i probably wouldn't buy anything that wasn't a hatchback. guess that shows I'm getting Old..haha the festiva is small but ya can still get alot in them if ya fold up the seat. its a Real Car !

Comment

By the way, the Smart car runs on diesel. The guy in the auction says it is gasoline... hopefully it was a typo, if not, I feel bad for the guy who buys that car...
              * Retired Festiva-er*
              1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
              B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

"A 698-cc, three-cylinder gas engines power all the models in Smarts 2006 range, with the exception of the CDI diesel model, up from 598 cc in the original models".

Comment

I'm waiting for them to drop down in price(used) then a 1000cc RR motor will find a home.

Comment

Can I ratchet-strap 4x8 plywood on the roof like I do with Festivas?
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg
                    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

i thought you could hide a Fortwo behind a 4x8 piece of plywood...but i guess i'm not correct. is 4.6ft the correct height for a stock festi?

Festiva: 4.6 ft tall by 11.7 ft wide (cars.com)
                      ForTwo: 5.1 ft tall by 8.8 ft wide (smartusa.com)
                      (from a side view)
                      lightweight turbo festiva eventually... till then RALLY 323 FWD 1.8 turbo w/DMS suspension.
                      www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8RQWpCQTEM
                      http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563922096TbQTzO

Comment

I got the music from here:  http://www.youtube.com/trackonerecordings If you liked the old song better, you can get it yourself from audioswap - search for "...

HAYABUSA!!!!
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

festiva height 55.3", width, 63.2' length 140.5

cargo volume with seat down, 26.5 cubic ft, 11.7 with seat up

Comment

God, hope a deer never jumps out in front of that thing. :shock:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

They have a very good crash rating.... from what I was told they are built around a type of pod/roll cage that protects the passengers.
                              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              There ain't no rest for the wicked
                              until we close our eyes for good.
                              I will sleep when I die!
                              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                              X