Not all oil is created equal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all oil is created equal.

I have been driving me "new" Festiva for 3 months now and I just had a chance to change the oil in it last night. I bought this Festiva from a friend of mine at church who had been driving it for the last 15+ years and taking very good care of it. He always kept a bottle of oil in the car because he said it lost a little and he wanted to make sure it was always full.

The oil he used was 10W-40 from Walmart. That kind with the wolf on the front and cost just over $1 a quart. I have always used Moble1 synthetic in my truck ever since I bought it, so I figured why skimp on my Festiva. I got Moble1 10W-40 synthetic and went home to change my oil. The "bargain" oil still had 3/4 of it left so after I drained the oil I poured a 1/4 of the "bargain" oil in to flush out what was left of the old oil and sludge.

First thing I realized was how much quieter the car was running. Not by a little, but by enough that I could hardly hear it anymore. So on the way to get some stain for work I gave it the beans and man was I surprised. Not only did it rev much faster but it seemed like it had a lot more power.

I assume all of this was from fresh oil, the flush, and I used a better oil. It could have come from a bunch of different things but the lowest common denominator was the oil change. I for one will not be putting "bargain" oil into any of my vehicles including lawnmowers.

Just thought I would share because it made driving my Festiva that much more enjoyable. I am going to fill up tonight so I am looking forward to seeing if I get any increase in full mileage
    88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
    92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
    91 - Shell with title
    92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

I wonder if it will fix my dead cylinder?

Comment

Not if your dead cylinder is from a burnt valve. Have you checked comp on the others?
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
        Not if your dead cylinder is from a burnt valve. Have you checked comp on the others?
        I was only kidding about a miracle fix for my engine issue. I am just going to run it until whatever it is becomes obvious.

Comment

I think the burn't valve stuff you have to pour in the air intake at 4000 rpm
          until you see glitter blowing out the exhaust. When you see the rainbow
          add the packet of activation powder and snap the throttle twice, then leave
          it for 24 hours. Change the air filter and enjoy your new engine!!!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

^ LMAO!! Magic does work.
            If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
              I think the burn't valve stuff you have to pour in the air intake at 4000 rpm
              until you see glitter blowing out the exhaust. When you see the rainbow
              add the packet of activation powder and snap the throttle twice, then leave
              it for 24 hours. Change the air filter and enjoy your new engine!!!
              I usually just yank the head and put in another valve...

$20 for head gasket + free valve out of my pile of old B3s VS the cost of activation powder (which was over $150 the last time I checked, and that was in the '90s)...

Yeah, I'll stick with my way lol.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                I usually just yank the head and put in another valve...

$20 for head gasket + free valve out of my pile of old B3s VS the cost of activation powder (which was over $150 the last time I checked, and that was in the '90s)...

Yeah, I'll stick with my way lol.
                :eeeeeek: $150?? That was for the fairy dust brand with my little pony
                on the bottle..I'm with you though, just replace the valve, the rubber ones
                are easier as you just feed them through the spark plug hole.
                More compatible with synthetics!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                  just replace the valve, the rubber ones
                  are easier as you just feed them through the spark plug hole.
                  Maybe when I run out of spares I'll buy some of the rubber ones... lets see, got at least 3 heads that I haven't even touched, figure at least 3 good valves in each, plus half a dozen that I've already pulled, and a couple head that are partially stripped but might have a couple valves left... yeah, I got plenty
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^braggert
                    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

^^ guilty as charged... but hey, at least I try to be generous with my modest sized pile of random crap lol.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                      X