Probably stupid question, but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably stupid question, but..

Okay, we now have three Festivas, one most likely a parts car. The '90 auto runs dependably, and is our only mode of transportation at the moment.

My question is as follows:

The '88 runs, but the engine has atleast one bad ring (and can fill the neighborhood with smoke after running 5 minutes), and has a lot of oil blow(by, back?). I plan to put either a B6 or the parts car's engine in it (along with EFI swap), but it'll be a few months before I learn how.

If I drive the '88, will it affect other parts of the car besides the engine? Am I going to ruin the exhaust system, ect.? The brakes work well, the transmission/clutch both seem to perform as needed. It rides really smooth down the road, it just smokes a lot.

I don't plan to take it to Mexico, just 22 miles round-trip to work. I'm planning on running the hose (the smoke all comes from a hose out the top of the head) out of the engine compartment so it doesn't fill the cabin so much.

Is this a dumb idea?

Thank you all,

Spike

EDIT: It ran great 70 miles after we bought it in Louisville, KY, but we didn't know the radiator fan wasn't running and the radiator blew a second time. It blew 50 miles from home. Now the fan is running (all the time, disconnected fan relay, now has a new radiator), we would only need a new battery. As far as we know.
    Last edited by Spike; 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

You may have a burnt valve. You may also have a bad PVC. I'd pull the valve cover and take a gander at the baffle.

Pics of smokey hose? (as in where is it, not it smoking)
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

It's that hose smack-dab in the middle, running the the left.

At the end of the hose is an oil can with about 2Tb of oil in it.

~Spike
      1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

that hose is supposed to feed back into the intake.... suspect faulty PCV as suggested and also may want to run some seafoam in your oil to help unstick any oil control rings that are no longer sealing.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

LOL, starting to think I should never listen to mechanics. I've called 4 or 5 places saying exactly what's wrong and asking what I should do.. and 'bad rings, replace it' was pretty much what I got.

I should've known to come here first..

~Spike
          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

If you need some help, don't be afraid to get ahold of me.
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Working...
            X