Rabbit Cabriolet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit Cabriolet

http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/3108616474.html Unless someone here can point out a reason not to, I plan to aquire this vehicle for $1500. My daughter said she wants it and it will resolve a car shortage since the loss of our Buick a few weeks ago. Being a '92, it is the latest year eligible for historic tags, which means no state insp or emissions testing. It has a non-interference engine, fairly new top and perfect body. The current owner had the dash off for some reason, and the lights don't work. My son the mech says NO, nothing German. There is an online forum for these cars.

Fuel system and electrical system will keep you entertained a
    little more than you might like.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
      http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/3108616474.html Unless someone here can point out a reason not to, I plan to aquire this vehicle for $1500. My daughter said she wants it and it will resolve a car shortage since the loss of our Buick a few weeks ago. Being a '92, it is the latest year eligible for historic tags, which means no state insp or emissions testing. It has a non-interference engine, fairly new top and perfect body. The current owner had the dash off for some reason, and the lights don't work. My son the mech says NO, nothing German. There is an online forum for these cars.
      it is not a Festiva....

also jealous of the guys garage
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^ What he said.
        I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

great gas saving car really a overall good car most of any vw's before 2000 are pretty simple to work on the newer ones go to the dealer

Comment

The fuel injection is Digifant2 (VW's copy of bosch jetronic). It's a very similar system to what a Festiva uses. These cars are fun to drive and really simple to work on, but make sure the fuse box is in good condition. These cars are plagued with electrical gremlins which are almost always caused by corrosion on the electrical grounds (of which there are many, some hidden under the dash). Being a Cabriolet, it is a true German build and was assembled at the Karmann plant, making it a true coach-built automobile. Definitely worth the money if it's really rust free. Check around the body kit for repairs. These cars will only go up in value, as it's now considered vintage (makes me feel old) and VW convertibles in the past have been known to skyrocket in value. It's also one of the last MK1 chassis cars sold in the U.S. (second to the scirocco2). so it's light and nimble, but refined and solid. But it isn't a Festiva.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I love these cars and HAVE to look at every one that pops up on craigslist, but the fact is, they scare the poop out of me because of all the horror stories I hear about the electrical issues. I could be reading in to it too much, but it seems these cars sell cheaper than they should (compared to other cars of their type) and I cant help but think thats because they all need work...

Like I said, I love the look of them and wouldn't be surprised if i end up with one some time :p
              Last edited by Pu241; 07-04-2012, 04:41 PM. Reason: language PM sent
              1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Comment

Confirming what Movin said and you might want to drop a line to 25Horseplay for his experience with one!
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

They are somewhat prone to overheating some times. I just repaired one that had a bad head gasket (what usually causes the problem) The headlights and the "wire gremlins" are one and the same, many issues with circut board style speedo wiring. Engine dirt simple to work on, electric fuel injection rather than machanical. Rock Auto has every part you need CHEAP.

Comment

Working...
                  X