Importing Festiva/121/Prides...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Festiva/121/Prides...

We should begin discussing and maybe even planning at least a small group effort to import some cars and parts. The basic rule I'm aware of, though I have not thoroughly checked it out yet is that an imported passenger car would have to be at least 25 years old to import and legally tag for driving purposes in most states. I'm sure there are the Federal rules and additional state rules to beware of.

IIRC, Festivas (I'm including the other two types when I say this) were made from 1986 to 2000 (Kia Pride). This means that 1987 and 1987 ones should be immediately drivable here. Year 2000 Prides would have to wait until 2025 to drive ("only" 12-13 years hence). Do the math on all the in-between years.

For example, getting an FI model to legally drive would probably entail buying a 1990 or later model. If so, it would become legal around 2015. That actually could be nice--giving you a couple years to get it fixed up perfectly!

These things would cost anywhere from several hundred to maybe a couple thousand dollars to buy. Unfortunately, the main cost is to ship them over. I would think that putting three of them in a shipping container would be the way to do it. Spare parts for them and/or other cars could be included in the container, unless there are some rules forbidding it.

Some questions need to be answered:

1. What country would be cheapest to ship these from?

2. Are there any particular shipping routes or companies that could reduce costs? For example, how much is Japan to our west coast vs. say, Europe to our east coast?

3. Any places in South America that would be cheaper to ship from?

4. About how much DOES a loaded Con-Ex cost to ship? Would filling two of them be any better deal?

5. Would it be best for someone to be in that foreign country to help pick out the "goods" and see that the container(s) is loaded up?

6. Would it be best to contact a reputable importer (a JDM engine dealer, for example) and work with them to do this?

There is no hurry on this! I would like to some day buy and import a foreign model Festiva and maybe a buncha parts. Maybe in the next three to four years. In the meantime, there may be foreign Festiva owners who would like to sell their personal cars and would be able to document the cars' history and condition (if they could be lined up). What other ideas can we come up with to explore?

I would like this thread to be a place for ideas on this "mission" that we can keep developing in hopes that this could happen at minimal cost and fuss in the next few years.

Discuss! :p

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I believe Canada's laws are 15 year old cars.... When I'm ready I want to try and locate a true GTX to import

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Some pics to whet your whistle!

Mazda Funtop and Pride wagon!

Comment

I would be interested in getting a 4 door one. I'll have to do some research on the importing and getting them registered stuff too.
        93 Festiva L White B6T
        99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
        89 Festiva Blue
        91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
        93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
        93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

I'm going over to the Czech in a week for vacation …
          I'll keep an eye out for how many, and the prices.
          Last edited by KJ4YXY; 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM.
          "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

I have a guy in DC ships luxury vehicles overseas to buyers. He might be able work something out. He mostly ships to Vietnam and surrounding area (he from Vietnam). He has sent an escalade overseas for me to a buyer. He sent with some of vehicles so my expense wasn't as much.
            88 track-tiva (in progress)
            1968 chevelle 4spd 454 (mint)
            1990 silverado lifted (purple truck)
            1981 camaro (blew the motor now building another)
            1989 ford f350 (Rebuild done!)
            1986 bronco (the beater)
            73 camaro (bumble bee)
            2002 yammer hammer R6
            96 silverado show truck -sold-
            2004 silverado 2500hd

Comment

Here are da rules.
              I believe I posted a price to ship a car from Germany to New York City once before. I will check again.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

"I'm going over the Czech in a week for vacation …
                I'll keep an eye out for how many, and the prices."

It may be more important to find someone who could serve as an "in country" car and parts checker or even packer. Someone who could take care of things from that end and ensure you get your money's worth of good parts and cars that aren't too shabby. In other words, he could check for rust issues, running condition, and to make sure everything is packed nice and cozy.

Someone like that would be paid to do this, BTW, and could be either a company guy or just a private dude who knows about cars. It's also possible that they may want something from America and would be willing to "trade duties" so we could help each other out.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  Here are da rules.
                  I believe I posted a price to ship a car from Germany to New York City once before. I will check again.
                  I see … yall want something old so it doesn't have to go through a bunch of checking that would cost a bit of money?
                  "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                    "I'm going over the Czech in a week for vacation …
                    I'll keep an eye out for how many, and the prices."

It may be more important to find someone who could serve as an "in country" car and parts checker or even packer. Someone who could take care of things from that end and ensure you get your money's worth of good parts and cars that aren't too shabby. In other words, he could check for rust issues, running condition, and to make sure everything is packed nice and cozy.

Someone like that would be paid to do this, BTW, and could be either a company guy or just a private dude who knows about cars. It's also possible that they may want something from America and would be willing to "trade duties" so we could help each other out.

Karl
                    yep I understand that.
                    I was just ganna see how much one over there would cost.
                    compare it with yalls other contacts from around the world and see. I obviously wouldn't be able to be that guy because I'm only ganna be there a month.
                    unless I move there wich I plan on doing sometime in my life.

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Just a nice striped Mazda 121 with a moon roof, in super condition.

Comment

That's enough inspiration, BK! I'm drooling enough as it is. Don't need no striped interiors with rear seat head restraints to remind me of what is to be had overseas!

Karl

Comment

If you filled a shipping container with them you could keep the cost under 1k per car for shipping.
                          But when I bought my car two years ago the importer was mentioning it is alot harder to source festivas in japan than it used to be as with their rules older cars are kept off the road... and festivas aren't getting any newer
                          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                          RIP 90LX

Comment

try s. korea. we have military there and they get deals on stuff like shipping and parts. may be a stretch but maybe you could find a GI who's stationed there to help. we could start a pen pal thing with a GI and maybe find one who likes festys. needle in a haystack but ya never know.
                            admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Okay, i'll play!

What about Ernst and Jun? They have Prides in the Phillipines.

I would think bringing something from the Phillipines would be easier, and cheaper?
                              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                              X