OBDT2 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBDT2 Question

My daughter' desires for a car and the amount I was willing to spend converged for the first time last Sunday and we bought an '07 Hyundai Accent. As soon as we got it home the CEL illuminated with codes for high idle and random misfire. My son thinks they were pre-existing and cleared without repairing just to sell the car. It was an "as-is" transaction. I'm looking for some ammo to approach the guy (a small businessman) for a partial rebate. There is no warranty but he did say the car had no problems and technically it didn't when the deal was closed. I need proof beyond a reasonable doubt that he concealed problems before I approach him for some $. Whenever you go looking for an OBDT2 used car, take a scanner!

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
    My daughter' desires for a car and the amount I was willing to spend converged for the first time last Sunday and we bought an '07 Hyundai Accent. As soon as we got it home the CEL illuminated with codes for high idle and random misfire. My son thinks they were pre-existing and cleared without repairing just to sell the car. It was an "as-is" transaction. I'm looking for some ammo to approach the guy (a small businessman) for a partial rebate. There is no warranty but he did say the car had no problems and technically it didn't when the deal was closed. I need proof beyond a reasonable doubt that he concealed problems before I approach him for some $. Whenever you go looking for an OBDT2 used car, take a scanner!
    Do you mean like you want physical proof?
    Harrison M.
    motobase8@yahoo.com | 91montero4x4@gmail.com

1989 Festiva Hatchback L 4 spd (project tuner)-33 MPG
    1991 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 (offroader)-14 MPG
    1971 Datsun 240z (in restoration)
    1966 Ford Falcon (restored)

Driving is a passion.

Comment

George, next time you test drive any OBD-II car, take it to two places immediately; McAutoParts for both bat+alt and code scan, and a reputable exhaust shop to have it tested. Good luck with your current issue. I hope you come out on top.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Well right now it's his word that he was unaware vs the improbability that 4 codes would surface within an hour after leaving his premises. I would like some credible evidence that the errors were concealed to grease the sale. I really don't know how long it takes for the CEL to re-illuminate after an improper clearing. It took about 2 hours in this case. I really don't know much at all about OBDT2 systems. Buyer beware!

Comment

Well right now it's his word that he was unaware vs the improbability that 4 codes would surface within an hour after leaving his premises. I would like some credible evidence that the errors were concealed to grease the sale. I really don't know how long it takes for the CEL to re-illuminate after an improper clearing. It took about 2 hours in this case. I really don't know much at all about OBDT2 systems. Buyer beware!
          On one of my cars it depends how far I drive, like 10 miles or so, then my warning comes back on. Look at where you plug up the scanner, see if you can see any marks or something or if it looks like its been used. I don't know if that will do anything or be helpful.
          Harrison M.
          motobase8@yahoo.com | 91montero4x4@gmail.com

1989 Festiva Hatchback L 4 spd (project tuner)-33 MPG
          1991 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 (offroader)-14 MPG
          1971 Datsun 240z (in restoration)
          1966 Ford Falcon (restored)

Driving is a passion.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
            George, next time you test drive any OBD-II car, take it to two places immediately; McAutoParts for both bat+alt and code scan, and a reputable exhaust shop to have it tested. Good luck with your current issue. I hope you come out on top.
            I knew this search would be an ordeal because I'm used to shopping for $500 Festivas, not $6-8K OBDT2, interference cars with no history. Certain models are hard as crap to find around here! I was dragging my "crew" (wife and son) with me but they were unavailable for this one. Plus it was 60 miles away. Live and learn

Comment

You've still done well, though! These days, Hyundai and KIA often share parts and percipherals. You may not find yourself so out of the loop as it may seem.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

do you have emissions testing there? If so they can tell you if codes were cleared. Not sure if another place can tell you prior codes and stuff like that.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

They have emissions testing here. I will get a notice soon after getting tags. I don't think they have anything better than a scanner which I have. I'm just not sure what it's telling me.

Comment

They have emissions testing here. I will get a notice soon after getting tags. I don't think they have anything better than a scanner which I have. I'm just not sure what it's telling me.
                    depends on how good the scanner is I believe. Some just give you readings...others can tell you codes have been cleared and stuff like that. FB71 would be better to answer what can be found out I am sure.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

ask a tech to pull both pending DTCs and Freezeframe data, and Mode 6 data if available. If the codes are in pending, and freezeframe data is recorded, then that shows that the fault existed for several key-cycles prior to your purchase. Mode 6 will show what monitors have been tripped. If the monitors are not complete (tripped), that proves that KAM (Keep Alive Memory) was cleared before your purchase. It takes several key-cycles and multiple operating conditions to trip all the monitors. You couldn't possibly complete all the monitors in 2 hours, unless you specifically drove a monitor trace, which I highly doubt you did.

What part of MD are you in?
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^ what he said....lol
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

The scanner should say how many times the car ran a successful test cycle since the code
                          was last set. It should also show how many test cycles the code reoccurred. Hundai is not
                          known until recently for leading the field in computer technology. 07 they were getting
                          there, and the 07 hundai accent being entry level may not support all the data available.
                          Meaning your scan tool could tell you these things if the accent was capable.

If you are using global technology you will not have any of the OEM data.
                          Last edited by Movin; 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                            ask a tech to pull both pending DTCs and Freezeframe data, and Mode 6 data if available. If the codes are in pending, and freezeframe data is recorded, then that shows that the fault existed for several key-cycles prior to your purchase. Mode 6 will show what monitors have been tripped. If the monitors are not complete (tripped), that proves that KAM (Keep Alive Memory) was cleared before your purchase. It takes several key-cycles and multiple operating conditions to trip all the monitors. You couldn't possibly complete all the monitors in 2 hours, unless you specifically drove a monitor trace, which I highly doubt you did.

What part of MD are you in?
                            Frederick, 80 miles away. Let me pass this info off to the lead mechanic at my son's workplace and see if he can do it. Otherwise I'll be heading up 95.

Comment

Working...
                            X