Speedo/Odo calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Odo calibration

I have a tach cluster that reads roughly 5mph high at 60. I get 3-4 extra miles on the trip meter every 100 or so.

This is with stock size 12 inch tires. I've also had two different speedo gears in it (two transmissions).

Can it be corrected?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

I don't think the odometer has any sort of adjustment available, other than the gearing within the trans itself. All of them are rated for 1024 revs per mile. The speedo isn't too hard to adjust, what is hard is adjusting it accurately. Open it up and you'll see the little lever that can be moved to vary the speedo spring tension and then re-set (I've used a hot glue gun with success). Will likely take a few tries to get it close, and even then its probably not going to be perfect all the way across the whole spectrum. These things are getting old now.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

If you go to 155/80x13 tires, or other taller tires, this optimism on the speedo's part will largely be corrected, as it will read a little slower.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah the plan is to aspire swap soon but I wanna run a lower profile tire like a 165/65 or 175/70 at the biggest. I hate the huge 80 series sidewalls lol...
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

If you are talking about the blue festiva it has 13" rims on the front. If not then I have no advice :p
          Last edited by Charlie1717; 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I have already attempted to swap an Aspire speedo gear into a Festy tranny. They are not compatible (way too long). If someone can figure out a way to get the nylon gear off the Aspire part and install it on the Festy version it might work. There a 1/2 dozen different nylon speedo gears for older Ford trucks and they slip on and off and into the transmission in a jiffy.

Comment

155/80 & 175/70 are almost the same in circumference.
              (& 185/65, 195/60, 205/50 13)
              Also 205/40-16 are equalish to 175/70 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                If you are talking about the blue festiva it has 13" rims on the front. If not then I have no advice :p
                I put 12s back on it. Didn't care for the California rake lol
                91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                X