No announcement yet.

Just why are these car so fun to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just why are these car so fun to drive?

Having owned the Festy for a while I find it is more fun to drive than most would think. I just can't put my finger on why.

Is it the snappy take offs from a dead stop? (Ya its a stock B3)

The light weight?

The rack and pinion steering?

The short wheel base?

The roomy front seat area?

Or is it that I can put my foot in it all the time and still get over 30 MPG?

Good thing I haven't done a engine swap as being self employed I need to keep my drivers license to make a living.

Tell me what you think is the reason.

Festivame

I like the the snappy take offs through like 3rd gear...then you start losing that spunk.
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Honestly, the fact that it is an over sized go-cart, playing car. lol
      Mike Holmgren
      Thief Rvr Fls, MN
      1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
      "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by 2xclutchin View Post
        Honestly, the fact that it is an over sized go-cart, playing car. lol
        LOL I have often told my son that I felt like I was driving a go cart.

Festivame

Comment

Gets you a lot more in touch with the road than a bigger car that does all the driving for you.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^+1
            Mike Holmgren
            Thief Rvr Fls, MN
            1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
            "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

I like the "Seat-of-the-pants" feeling while driving mine. I can feel the road, and what my car is doing. I dont have the Aspire swap, but I have it stiffened up with Aspire struts all around, and IT IS like driving a sort of hi-performance go-cart. It is smooth on the highway, it corners great, and it turns on a dime!

Not to mention, that parking spot the car in front of you couldnt get into? Just whip right in there, no problem!
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Driving a slow car fast is always better than the other way around. Sure you can kill yourself in a festive, as unsafe as they are but finding the cars limits where everything isn't a blur puts your skills in perspective. I make tires cry on unfamiliar roads...I won't do that in something bigger faster more expensive etc
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Back to Basics!

Everything you need to get around, and nothing you don't.

Kinda like a motorcycle that hauls more and keeps you dry in the rain!

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

For me, it's mostly the ease and breeze of driving and ownership. The steering and clutch pedal are as light as a feather, yet the car overall is very responsive and has excellent road feel. Affordable to modify and an absolute blast in the bends. Parking is an absolute cakewalk and visits to the gas station aren't too painful. What more could you ask for?
                    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

You can pick them up for under 500 bucks and drive the crap out of them for years....
                      Ford Fester

Comment

I stopped at a friends house with my Festiva to help work on some stuff, you should have seen the looks when I opened the hatch and pulled out my 8 foot fiberglass step ladder, my sears lawnmower and a gas weed wacker.
                        These cars are like little compact utility vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          Back to Basics!

Everything you need to get around, and nothing you don't.

Kinda like a motorcycle that hauls more and keeps you dry in the rain!

Karl
                          Festys are addictive, if you like to drive. They're grownup go-karts in every respect. And, they are (so far) street legal and have a usable backseat, excellent roof, windows and doors. Gov't must have modeled updated safety legislation around them so as to make everybody else's future seat-of-the-pants driving experience a much lesser experience.
                          A current eco-friendly 'Smart' car is much the same weight but there is only seating for two and you can't figure on hauling anything more than a case of beer in one. And as to whether they handle, or not, is of no concern to Ministry of Transport (gov't regulators) either.

Comment

Originally posted by All systemz View Post
                            I stopped at a friends house with my Festiva to help work on some stuff, you should have seen the looks when I opened the hatch and pulled out my 8 foot fiberglass step ladder, my sears lawnmower and a gas weed wacker.
                            These cars are like little compact utility vehicles.
                            People look at you like the school board did here!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Just make sure your stunts have a positive influence on our sport,
                            this kid didn't do sporting gun ownership any favors...
                            Last edited by Movin; 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM.
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

It's one of the most well designed cars ever to be sold in the united states. How many other sub 2000 lb cars can be picked up from one side with a jack and both doors still open and close freely? I have worked on, modified and driven some of the wildest exotic race and street cars in the country but none of them hold a candle to the potential of a Festiva. When tuned properly these cars will embarrass a Ferrari or Porsche on the race track. Exceptional. I have an idea that this chassis wasn't designed solely to be an economical street car. The 121 chassis was designed during the end of the group B rally era. The car has the ideal dimensions to be a group B contender and it's wide fenders and stubby hatchback just scream 80's rally car. There are very few cars that are made with such thin metal but were sold worldwide, and most of them are homologated race cars that were sold in very low volume (Porsche GT3 rsr, Ford RS200 ect). Was the 121/Festivas fate changed by the end of the FIA group B class? Who's to say, but this car is built far to well to have been just another econobox.
                              It even makes the Shelby Cobra look like a slouch.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X